Ad-Hoc Wireless Network slow

milly54 11:05 14 Jun 03

I have a WinMe desktop and WinXP home notebook - both fitted with 802.11b adapters.

I have established network connection and file sharing between both PC's.

However, while the initial connection speed shows 11Mb/s, as soon as I attempt any network activity - browsing etc - it slows to 1Mb/s, and any file transfers are very slow.

Can anyone help please?

milly54 16:16 14 Jun 03

PS the two PC's are within 2 metres of each other and showing excellent signal strength

Magik ®© 16:51 14 Jun 03

just as a matter of interest, i have mine on a wireless network, i have just closed both doors, the room upstairs where the desktop is and the room downstairs where the laptop is, and the thing went along like a snail. just opened the doors again and we are flying..

you never know, stranger things have happened..

milly54 17:51 16 Jun 03

Magik,
My notebook is sitting on the same desk as the PC - no doors to open or close!! But as you say, stranger things.....

I just wondered if my slow transfer speed may be related to protocols/settings etc.

Magik ®© 18:52 16 Jun 03

if you care to write some of the settings down, i can look through mine, and see what we have. might come across something...

milly54 14:06 23 Jun 03

Although I'd tried a couple of different channels previously, one last attempt at getting a half decent connect speed involved trying several other channels - and whoopee I found on that peforms very well - guess there must be other interfering transmissions in my locality.

milly54 14:12 23 Jun 03

PS - thanks for offers of help etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…