Ad-hoc networking question

AdeJ 17:10 09 Aug 03

I may be attempting the impossible, but what the hell..

My sister's PCs (4) are all netwrorked via a DSL router plumbed into Blueyonder. She wants the ability to surf the net on a laptop I've given her, but doesn't want to change the router to a wireless.

I put wireless network cards in her PC and laptop and set them for ad-hoc (same channel etc) in the hope to run this alongside her existing network.

I'm the first to admit I don't know much about ad-hoc's, and Practicallynetworked.com isn't as helpful in this area as it is for infrastructure - but I can't get the laptop to access the internet through the PC.

ICS, bridged, unbridged, firewalls down - all no joy and probably barking up the worng tree anyway.

Any network wizards out there who can point me in the right direction and save me melting over this?

Many thanks in advance...

AdeJ 17:28 09 Aug 03

Forgot to mention - PC is XP home, laptop is 98SE

jazzypop 18:04 09 Aug 03

A simpler method (far more likely to work) is to put a wireless access point into the port on the router previously occupied by the PC that now has a wireless network card.

Tell both desktop and laptop to access the web via the access point - should be straightforward.

AdeJ 18:35 09 Aug 03

but the brother in law didn't want that - he's still convinced wireless = insecure hence i'm only allowed to wirelessly link the one PC and laptop..

Forum Editor 18:58 09 Aug 03

(when used in this context) applies to a wireless network that is configured to allow access to any computer within range - provided it is equipped with a wireless network adapter. jazzypop is on the right track - whilst it is perfectly possible to run a mixed (Cat5 cable and wireless)network you'll still need to have a wireless access point or router. You can run a wireless access point off a hub, and then equip remote machines with wireless network adapters, or use a wireless router that will have conventional LAN ports for the cabled machines. The router will allow you to have the best of both worlds.

As far as your brother-in-law's security fears go, he's right up to a point. An ad hoc wireless network will, in theory, allow any Tom, Dick or Harriet to join your network, provided they:

1. Knew there was a network operating.

2. Were in range with a laptop/PC that had a wireless adapter.

3. Could be bothered in the first place.

In the real world it's not a problem with a home network - the range is never good enough for a crowd of illicit surfers to gather in the street.

AdeJ 00:22 10 Aug 03

I know the wireless router makes sense - I have one myself - but he wont be convinced. The ad-hoc is only intended between the one PC (he sees it as 'her risk') and laptop - is it actually possible (although more complicated) to share the internet connection this way?

Forum Editor 00:49 10 Aug 03

to share the Internet connection between two machines wirelessly.

I assume that the PC you wish to share with is connected to the router via a LAN card, in which case you'll need to fit that machine with a wireless network adapter as well. This adapter can either be an internal card, or an external USB model.

Fit the laptop with a wireless adapter as well, and run the Microsoft Internet connection sharing wizard on both machines. You don't mention which operating system(s) is/are running on the two computers, and the wizard will differ for different Windows versions, so I can't give you detailed instructions here.

If you would like to post back with the details I'll point you in the right direction.

AdeJ 20:14 10 Aug 03

The PC (XP Home) is connected to the router via a wired LAN card, AND has a wireless card in ad-hoc mode. The laptop (Win98SE)has a wireless card in ad-hoc.

If I enable internet sharing on the PC wireless card, it ceases to pick up the internet access from the wired router.

jazzypop 22:16 10 Aug 03

But if you bridge the two networks (wired and wireless) on the ICS PC, does it work?

Do make sure, when you run ICS on the XP desktop, that you choose the wireless card, no the wired card. Then bridge the wired and wireless.

AdeJ 08:38 11 Aug 03

That's what I thought was logical - but when ICS was selected on the wireless card and the two networks bridged, the PC no longer had internet access through its wired (router) card - hence my frustration!

jazzypop 19:32 11 Aug 03

The problem may be one of IP addresses. See click here for a detailed explanation of what happens when you run the ICS wizard on the client and host PCs.

As you will see, the host PC (XP desktop) is assigned an IP Address of 192.168.0.1 when you run the wizard, and the client (W98se laptop) is assigned 192.168.0.2.

If you manually assign the host with an IP address of (say) 192.168.0.50, for the wireless card, and list that as the gateway address on the client PC, you can at least be sure that there are no IP address clashes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…