ad hoc losing connection

Wrinkly70 22:03 16 Jun 06

I have an ad hoc PC to Laptop which works perfectly with Internet, file and printer sharing. WEP installed (thanks to mgmcc and ade.h) and firewalled.
I have set up a similar network on my daughter's PC to Laptop, and everything works including Internet, file and printer sharing. WEP installed, and firewalled.
BUT for no apparent reason the connection is lost, sometimes immediately re connecting, at other times I have to use the "repair" function. On "boot up" the connection is never available until the "repair" function is used.
Any ideas on a fix?

mgmcc 08:09 17 Jun 06

You could try changing the channel used for the wireless connection. It is probably on the default "11" so try changing to something like 8 or 6.

Also ensure there are no cordless/mobile phones close to either of the wireless adapters.

Another option is to give the "client" computer in the ICS arrangement a fixed IP address, rather than getting it by DHCP from the "host". Sometimes ICS doesn't like you doing this, so it's a matter of trying it to see. Use these settings in the "client" PC:

IP address - 192.168.0.2

Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (the "host" PC's IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.0.1 (the "host" PC's IP address)

Wrinkly70 09:52 17 Jun 06

Thank you mgmcc, but how do I change channels? I am using Windows to configure settings.

Wrinkly70 12:52 17 Jun 06

mgmcc
Thank you
Found how to set the channel. On my network the Laptop is already set at 6, but the Belkin card in the PC only allows sets according to region.
Will now go to see if I can cure the daughters network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…