Ad hoc internet sharing

nick35 12:05 29 Jan 05

I am trying to share my broadband internet connection with another computer using an adhoc network with d link pci cards.

I can share my files okay (set up using the d link software rather than windows) & the bt broadband icon shows on the other computer, however when I try to connect internet explorer shows cannot locate server.

I have tried it with the firewall disabled on the 2nd computer & have ensured that the firewall (zonealarm) on the host computer is set to allow the connection.

Any ideas

Thanks

PA28 12:31 29 Jan 05

There were a lot of good ideas posted to my thread when I had this problem see click here. Like you, file sharing wasn't a problem, but internet was.

One good suggestion was to ensure that PtoP service was enabled in XP. However, in the end I had to resort to using a Wireless Router Modem to share internet services and this was a doddle to set up and get working. So you know where the last resort is!

Charence 12:35 29 Jan 05

if that fails, do it manually.

Go to Network Connections and make sure that the Internet Connection Sharing is ticked and also the other check boxes on the Advance tab of your internet connection properties.

Then setup the network. Right click on your LAN and go to properties. Select TCP/IP and click PROPERTIES. Choose the Setup Manually option.

Computer connected to internet: IP Address - 192.168.0.1, Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Other computers on network not directly connect to internet connection - IP Address - must all be unique, e.g. 192.168.0.2, Subnet Mask - must be same on all computers; 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway - IP address of PC with internet; 192.168.0.1, You must also manually assign DNS - IP address of PC with internet; 192.168.0.1

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…