Ad Blocker programs?

Jeffers22 18:38 16 Dec 04

The often criticised slowness of this forum seems to be more to do with the adserver requests to and than the PCA site itself. Often the status line at the bottom of Opera shows a stall at the queue requesting access to one or both of these as the advertising content is requested.

Has anyone any experience of Ad blocker programs, either free or cheapish that block flash ads, off site ads and the like. I've found some via google, but would welcome any input from forum members on their own experienceswith any of these.

VoG II 18:39 16 Dec 04

I use a HOSTS file click here

Jeffers22 18:56 16 Dec 04

Thanks for that VOG. Interesting. Do you use the file they offer for download? I had a quick scan of that file but didn't see either of the sites mentioned above (could easily have missed them, it's a loooong file)

bertiecharlie 18:58 16 Dec 04

There is Opera Adfilter click here If you try it, you need to locate your opera6.ini file when you first run the programme so in your Folder Options best to untick "hide extensions for known file types." Once installed, you download the latest adfilter from within the programme. Works a treat.

The other way to remove a lot of ads is to disable JavaScript. In Opera you can go to View\Toolbars\Customise\Buttons and Fields\Preferences and drag the "Enable JavaScript" checkbox to the Personal Toolbar. Alternatively, tools and then quick preferences.

VoG II 18:59 16 Dec 04

Yes I did get the file from that site. You can always edit it in Notepad to add other addresses to block.

Jeffers22 19:02 16 Dec 04

Quick search later - found and an entry for, but the latter was not an exact match for where this site goes.

Time to pop the file in and see how it all goes.

Thanks BertieCharlie, another tack. Will take a look at the Opera tweak - God I love Opera!

I'm looking forward to even faster ad-free browsing.

Mikè 21:14 16 Dec 04

click here this is a self installing hosts file, I have used this for some time with no problems.

It can be easily uninstalled if you have any problems.

Jeffers22 23:53 16 Dec 04

Thanks to VOG, BertieCharlie and Mike with grave accent over e

Much appreciated guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…