Ad block Plus update caused bsod?

mart7 21:06 12 Feb 15

Unusual event,as I was looking on ebay yesterday I had a BSOD,something ive never had on my 2yr old Win7 pc

As the pc rebooted back onto the desktop a message came up something like "abp has successfully updated"

Anyone else experience this or is it coincidence?

xania 09:20 13 Feb 15

I assume that you have already installed and its update was not totally unexpected?

It is more likely that something else was the cause of the bsod and that the update timing was coincidental.

The odd bsod is not something to worry about - its one way tat Windows protects you when something goes awry. If it occurs more frequently you will need to check your Event Viewer to see what is causing problems, but just the one event - I wouldn't worry.

mart7 09:38 13 Feb 15

Its been installed for sometime,I didnt initiate the update,thats what made me think it caused the blue screen

xania 09:59 13 Feb 15

Have you asked for/agreed to automatic updates?

You may wish to balance the risks against the benefits, but, as I said before, if this is a one-off, don't worry.

Secret-Squirrel 10:14 13 Feb 15

Mart, Adblock Plus probably doesn't hook into the operating system enough to cause a catastrophic failure so it's unlikely to be the culprit.

If you're concerned and you'd like me to analyse the crash-dump file for your BSoD then upload it to a file-sharing site and post the link to it here. You can find it in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder. The file will have a .dmp extension and its time and date will match the occurrence of your BSoD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…