Ad-aware...unusual results.....

Fateful Shadow 19:05 24 Mar 04

I've just done my usual ad-aware scan and this time it's come up with 3 things I've never seenc before...2 registry values and 1 regitry key all from Windows. Usually it might be from another 'Vendor' but this time it's got me. The only thing that I've installed to do with Windows recently is Microsoft Office 2000!

Any idea what's going on and if it's OK to get rid of them?

powerless 19:11 24 Mar 04

Give us a clue...what does Adaware recognise them as?

...thier name?

computernerdiamnot 19:11 24 Mar 04

Sometimes cookies are left by companies that make it easier when you log onto thier sites when it comes up at end of scan it should clear when you click clear.

Fateful Shadow 19:14 24 Mar 04

Ok, the key is seen as a 'Vulnerability' and has something to do with "WinLogon." The 2 registry keys are seen as 'Malware' and has something to do with an "Interface." I can't really help much more than that...sorry

Fateful Shadow 18:50 25 Mar 04

I take it that because no one answered, no one has any idea! The main thing I wanted to know is that if I was to delete these registry keys/values, will my computer get annoyed and not start up...but this is probably harder to say!

Something interesting I did see, I typed in 'msconfig' into the 'Run' box and brought up the startup part, and there were two items which had no names. These might be the two registry values that Ad-aware is on about.....

Nellie2 19:00 25 Mar 04

Winlogon that sits in your system32 folder is a valid windows file... however there are other winlogons that in your C:\windows folder that you really don't want to have on your system. click here= for more information

muppetmark 19:05 25 Mar 04

Double check the location of your winlogon.exe file you should only have one in your System32 folder, (assuming XP) if there is another in a different location, Startup folder perhaps, you may have a spyware infection.

GaT7 19:08 25 Mar 04

In the 'there were two items which had no names' at startup, what are their FULL paths? e.g., C:\Program Files\... or C:\Windows\...

The END filenames will usually reveal themselves. Tell us the end filenames.

Fateful Shadow 18:08 26 Mar 04

The location of the 2 unknown startup items are located in "HCKU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

Any idea?!

Fateful Shadow 18:22 26 Mar 04

I've just done another Ad-aware check and it's only come up with 1 registry thingy instead of three...and I haven't edited anything in the registry!

The thing that has come up is the 'vulnerability' I was on about earlier, and it looks slightly related to the 2 unknown startup items. The final part of the registry value says 'Winlogon"Shell" ()'

This might clear things up.....then again it might make it even more confusing!

Thanks for helping me so far :)

GaT7 18:29 26 Mar 04

Thanks for getting back.

I meant the end filenames in Msconfig which are present on your PC (not just what is mentioned in the Registry). What are the they? Will usually be .exe file(s). These are the culprits you should be looking at on your hard drive & thinking of deleting. Please post back before deleting anything though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…