Ad-aware updates and NTL's Reply

obbit 20:11 01 Jan 05

Having sent 4 emails to NTL regarding the problem of updating Ad-aware and Spybot using NTL BB, I received this reply today from NTL

"Hi

Thanks for your recent email

These 2 programs aren't automatic updates programs you do need to open
the application to get new updates for them.

I hope this helps to answer your queries. Should you need further
assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

Chris
Technical Support Team"

I am surprised by the reply as the sender, Chris, has failed hopelessly in understanding the problem and seems to think that I don't know how to operate my computer and the programs I have on it.

They have received a reply from me setting out the problem in easy to understand words.

If you would like to send them an email explaining the problem NTL customers have when trying to update Ad-aware and Spybot then the email address is [email protected]

It is the most frustrating experience to get proper answers from NTL.

octal 20:28 01 Jan 05

To be fair to Chris, he doesn't know the level of experience you have, so I'm not too surprised by the response.

What is the problem, perhaps someone on this forum can help?

obbit 20:43 01 Jan 05

The problem is NTL. Anybody with an NTL connection trying to update Ad-aware can't until 2-3 days after the updates are made available. This sometimes results in missing updates when they are issued close together. It also applies to Spybot most of the time for me.

I have to disconnect the cable modem and update with a dial-up connection with another provider.

I tried updating manually but this doesn't seem to work either while connected to NTL.

LinuxPenguin 21:10 01 Jan 05

NTHELL as they are often called are a terrible isp, customer services wise anyway, altho most BB isps are

freaky 21:12 01 Jan 05

I have NTL Broadband plus Adaware and Spybot S&D.

Neither of these programs will notify you by email when there is an update available (understandable because they are freeware).

The only time you will know an update is available is by loading the respective programmes, and clicking on 'check for updates'.

I belong to another Forum, and quite often people make postings advising members there are updates available for Spybot S&D and Adaware.

obbit 21:40 01 Jan 05

We know. Explain how Lavasoft post an update on their web site and why it's not available with an NTL connection until 2-3 days later. Plus I can get the update as soon as it is available, using another ISP.

shizzy 21:55 01 Jan 05

Several members on here have this problem including me. Am with Tesco who use NTL.

QuizMan 23:51 01 Jan 05

Just checking - is this really NTL's fault? I ask because I have seen a number of these NTL threads on this subject lately and being an NTL customer, I too was having problems updating Ad-aware. However, I belatedly realised it was because Ad-aware no longer supports Ad-ware Personal (which I had been using until 2 days ago) and we should all download and install the new Ad-aware SE, which incidentally found a load more cr** that the old version didn't.

obbit 10:43 02 Jan 05

It is NTL who is at fault. I use Ad-aware SE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…