Another one available 01R244 01.01.2004

VoG II 07:43 02 Jan 04

Ta but click here

Lionheart? 07:55 02 Jan 04

Was in the land of nod then :)

Jester2K 08:04 02 Jan 04

Cheers

QQAA 09:20 02 Jan 04

While it may be just another routine upgrade for people in this forum, this latest definition file update from Ad-aware is of very special meaning to me.

Actually, I want to continue this topic from my previous message thread titled "Comet Cursor Back with a Vengeance!" started about a week ago. But it has been deleted (a search returned negative result by the forum administration perhaps due to reasons of a political nature.

Anyway, I am glad to advise that the nasty Comet Cursor spyware which I got from the screensavers.com website click here while downloading a file through their pop-up "Download Manager" menu interface, has finally been removed by this latest definition. Thanks and I must say well done, Ad-aware.

In the meantime, it had proved that my firewall is running well as attempts by this so-called 'Download Manager' to connect to the internet had been blocked as shown by the firewall's pop-up notices.

Because of this episode, I believed it is necessary to have more than one spyware checker in your system, and I would like to exclude Spybot S&D which has become disappointing in its performance over time. Furthermore, online updating of its rare definition updates often result in a "Bad Checksum" error.

When I start to experiment with Webroot's "Spy Sweeper" (another product from the same author is the famous "Window Washer"), it tends to catch a few ad-cookie (such as one known as "Realmedia") which Ad-aware misses. Besides, on the first run it even detected a trojan horse "UKVideo" (no idea how and where I got it) running in my system and was able to remove it when prompted by me.

As I intend to replace the Spybot S&D with another tool (to make it three spyware detectors running in my system), I am interested to hear what are the other tried and proven freeware and shareware available for the same purpose. Hope to receive some good advices soon, just in case this message thread is deleted.

Jester2K 09:25 02 Jan 04

SpyBot - never had a problem. EVER.

Also use SpywareBlaster click here to stop installation in the first place.

QQAA 08:19 03 Jan 04

Yes, I have downloaded and installed the 'unique' SpywareBlaster. Found it to be working flawlessly and its power is frankly, way beyond my initial expectation.

Now my "Ad-aware" and even "Spy Sweeper" are struggling to find any spyware or ad-cookie in my system, because they are already prevented in the first place. Equally important is the fact that my web-surfing have not been affected at all by installation of this freeware tool.

Even if they do found an ad-cookie that is always deposited by my favourite soccer website, it is because of my own decision made in order proceed to another webpage of the site from the opening page.

I think SpywareBlaster could play an anchor role among the arsenal of spyware-detecting tools which we have in our systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…