Ad-aware runs soooo slow!!!

Mavro 15:32 15 Jul 04

I'm running ad-aware 6 deep scan on W98, It is taking best part of 3 hours. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times but no improvement. On another computer running XP it does the job in a couple of minutes. What's the problem?? If I should be running the older version of ad aware how do I get hold of it??
Thanks as always..

Stuartli 15:56 15 Jul 04

Something not right there - a Smart Scan should be more than sufficient; on the four systems I use or have installed Ad-aware6 181 it takes only about two or three minutes to complete such scans.

Two are Windows98 based and the other two run XP Home and Pro.

Shas 16:07 15 Jul 04

I had this problem a while back. I'd taken to running it overnight with everything closed down and it still took 2¾ hours. I eventually just disconnected from the internet, disabled the firewall and AV and it's now OK. Takes around 6-10 minutes now.

Stuartli 16:28 15 Jul 04

There is no requirement to be connected to the Internet to use Ad-aware6, only to check for updates.

Just run it - even better when it's just been updated.

Firewalls and AV utilities shouldn't offer any problems whether enabled or disabled.

In my case more than 50,000 files are scanned in the Registry and HDD in well under five minutes.

Shas 17:01 15 Jul 04

It wasn't so much that I thought I needed to be connected to the internet to run it, more a case of as I'm on bb I tend to leave my connection on all day, but it makes a very definite difference with firewall and av running, so to disable them I feel safer disconnecting from the net as well, even though the scan does only take around 6-10 minutes now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac