Ad-aware and hidden files

GrahamP 22:22 26 Feb 03

Just installed and ran Ad-aware 6.0. It detected 32 objects and out of interest, before I let it clean them, I used Windows Explorer to check Windows\Downloaded Program Files where two of them were located. Surprise, they were 14 files there, but none of them the ones Ad-aware had found. At this point I double-checked that I was displaying hidden and system files. I am. I then checked under Dos. Bigger surprise, there were 51 files listed. Checked all their attributes. Only one was hidden (desktop.ini) and none system.

Anyone know why these 37 files not appear in Windows Explorer?

User-312386 23:02 26 Feb 03

are you sure some of them are not in the registry?

GrahamP 23:46 27 Feb 03

madboy33™

Thanks for your reply. Yes, several of the objects Ad-aware detected were Registry keys. Of the others, two were files in Downloaded Program Files, the rest were Cookies. I maybe didn't make clear that although these two files were not known to Windows Explorer, they were displayable using a DIR command under Dos.

My point is really not related to Ad-aware. It was just that running it led me to dicover a number of files which exist in the folder (Downloaded Program Files), which are displayable under Dos, and obviously accessible by Ad-aware, but which do not appear to be accessible or even detectable from within Windows.

I know Windows has several files with these properties (the Index file in Internet History for example) but it looks as if some web sites are using the same techniques to hide files on our harddrives.

Or am I just being paranoid?

Gaz 25 00:22 28 Feb 03

: )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…