Ad-Aware 2007. Updating problem.

Granny. 13:54 13 Feb 08

Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone else had problems updating Ad-Aware 2007?

I don`t know if I`m doing anything wrong, but I can`t update it.

I`ve downloaded the Update Manager, but that hasn`t made any difference at all.

It`s really frustrating as I never had any problems at all with the old version.

Can anyone help at all? Please ........

ventanas 14:20 13 Feb 08

Is it that you are confused by the changed sequence.

When you click the update button you are told there is a new file available, you click yes and then it asks if you want any new updates to the software (not much point if on the free version, so say no) The dialogue goes away, and that's it. There is no download bar as before, in fact no indication as to what is happening at all, so it may appear to have failed. If you wait a while it will eventually tell you that the update is complete. Close the program and then restart it and it will show the updated definition file.

realist 14:51 13 Feb 08

Mine wouldn't update, kept reporting unable to connect to server.
After twice re-installing to no avail, I went over to superantispyware free edition which seems more user-friendly (thus far).

Granny. 14:57 14 Feb 08

Thanks ventanas.

All I get though is the word "waiting", then the whole thing just freezes on me, so I`m not sure what`s going on?
(Nothing else freezes on my computer)

realist, you sound as though you`ve had problems too, can you let me know how you get on with that new programme too please?

realist 15:14 14 Feb 08

Hi. Yes it scans and updates very nicely. I much prefer it to "new" version of Adaware.
click here

ventanas 15:18 14 Feb 08

I must agree with raelist, Superantispyware is a much better option, even if Ad-aware was working ok.

cocteau48 15:27 14 Feb 08

I have found that since the last couple of updates Adaware has become very slow to start.
It's a bit like Spybot was before they fixed it with a patch.
According to the Lavasoft support forum I am not the only one suffering.

provider 2 15:33 14 Feb 08

Have both and join the Paranoids` Club.

That said, I too find the new Ad-Aware 2007 distinctly twitchy. It can take forever to respond both loading and updating, while at other times it can behave quite well. I think it may depend on the volume of traffic to the site, but who knows?

I like SuperAntispyware too but it has updates nearly every day. Still, that`s no bad thing, I suppose, with the volume of nasties on the go.

p;3 19:13 14 Feb 08

try opening the program and note when it says it last updated

Granny. 13:16 15 Feb 08

Thank you all very much, and thanks for the link realist.

I`ve taken Ad-Aware off and installed Superantispyware, and find it very easy to use.

It`s picked up stuff that AdAware didn`t as well.

Thanks again everyone...

David4637 14:48 16 Feb 08

Thanks for your feedback, I was just about to put AD-Aware 2007 on my PC. Can I ask, can you update Superanti... by down loading the definition files separately and then installing them in the program. Reason being I am on dial up - I use a friends BB because its quicker to down load the definition files? David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017