Is this actually illegal?

Ade_1 18:15 25 Dec 05

I didnt htink it was illegal but someone mentioned it to me so i was just wondering following a previous post. Is it illegal to take off tracks from a CD onto a mp2 player? i didnt htink it was. Just someone said to me it was, just wanted to double check.

justme 18:24 25 Dec 05

Strictly speaking it is illegal. You are copying tracks from a cd.

However, if you are only doing it for your own use from a cd which you bought then you are unlikely to feel the wrath of the music industry.

On the other hand if you are giving copies to another person or copying from a cd owned by someone else then you are stealing from the music industry and should you come to their attention you may well find yourself in court.

Ade_1 18:27 25 Dec 05

i thought it was allright if it was for my own use

SG Atlantis® 18:36 25 Dec 05

when you buy a music cd, you are buying the right to play that cd as much and as many times as you wish. If you copy the cd or extract any of the content of the cd without permission you are breaking the law.

Although they generally don't mind if you make a backup copy and transfer it to your mp3 player. They only persue hardcore downloaders/uploaders and producers of counterfeit goods.

So don't worry your safe.

Ade_1 18:37 25 Dec 05

SANTOS7 18:45 25 Dec 05
  Stuartli 18:54 25 Dec 05

I fully understand the law about copyright etc but it still strikes me as hypocrisy that large music recording organisations bang on about piracy, illegal copying etc, whilst at the same time another of their divisions manufactures the very hardware, such as rewriters and MP3 players, that actually encourages such use.

(Sorry about the long paragraph...)

rsinbad 21:36 25 Dec 05

If you download legal music would it be illegal to burn to disc??

Totally-braindead 21:43 25 Dec 05

In most cases yes, you'd have to read the terms and conditions of the website you download it from, in the case of many of the legal websites you are not allowed to burn them onto CD. Having said that I would think they wouldn't bother too much. Its much the same as putting MP3s onto your MP3 player, yes its illegal but if you have bought the disk I can't see them taking you to court for it, incidentely some of the sites have copy protection built into the downloads to stop you copying it on to CD or so I have read. Can't say I've ever tried it myself.

rsinbad 22:00 25 Dec 05

So what you are saying to be legal if i wanted to have a copy of a particular song i liked on my pc and for my mp3 player,ipod,etc i would have to buy the song several times.I know this is ott ;but i guess thats what they would like use to do.

realist 22:00 25 Dec 05

I think it's unlikely in the extreme that a casual downloader/copier would ever be pursued by the BPI or whoever. With an estimated 2.6 billion mp3 downloads a month who is going to notice yours! And, remember all those cassette tapes we used to fill up with stuff.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…