ActiveX Controls No Longer Active

sannaz 22:36 10 Mar 06

Kids have been on my computer and all of a sudden a number of webistes will not load. All seem to require ActiveX controls e.g. Macromedia Flash.

Have checked my IE security settings and reset to defaults ensuring that ActiveX prompts are set to enable as per default. No Joy!

Have contacted AVG just in case it was a firewall problem but switched off firewall and still no difference.

Cannot install Hijack This as site is blocked - Windows info bar appears very briefly (1 sec) and disappears again.

Used PC Pitstop to see if ActiveX controls were enabled but site informs me that ActiveX is disabled despite IE saying they are enabled.

Any suggestions?

gudgulf 23:23 10 Mar 06

What version of Windows?

If XP then a "System Restore" to before the problem is the easiest option.

BRYNIT 23:41 10 Mar 06

This might answer the question click here

BRYNIT 00:10 11 Mar 06

Just incase the link does not work.

Microsoft alters IE 6 to comply with court ruling

Microsoft has served notice that it intends to comply with the court order to remove automatic activation for ActiveX controls from Internet Explorer. The company has issued a 'Non Security Update' for Internet Explorer 6 to users as part of the automatic updates process.
The change has been forced on the software giant following its long running legal battle with technology firm Eolas.

sannaz 08:31 11 Mar 06

This does seem to give the reason why I am getting the problem. My PC was given to me by a developer and I beleive it has a developer version of XP Pro with SP2 applied as a download when it was launched.

Is there a "fix" that can now resolve the problem or do I need to update my XP Pro SP2?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…