Active x installed by mistake

keewaa 23:22 14 Nov 05

Visited a web site and an active x box came up, thought I click close, but it seemed to install it .... I've read these can be bad , but I couldn't see anything in c:\windows\downloaded programs ... how do I identify, locate and remove it? Does MS antispyware help me locate it as I have it installed.

woodchip 23:24 14 Nov 05

If you run system Restore you could run that before switching computer of. As it will be too late if you switch of first

Stuartli 23:59 14 Nov 05

ActiveX isn't the kiss of death you seem to think - it's a Microsoft development from some time back.

pavvi 00:02 15 Nov 05

needs activex to check for it's generally fine....

Skills 00:03 15 Nov 05

If you have sp2 installed assuming your on XP then in IE tools manage add ons, this will display all current active x install and if you change the drop down box ones that have been used.

I would run a spyware scan just to be on the safe side

keewaa 00:04 15 Nov 05

Thanks Woodchip, I was able to do that. Is there an easy way to set a regular restore point every 3 days as mine are a bit erratic (sometimes 2 weeks!) , luckily there was one this morning.
Also, the fact that I didn't see it in the c:\windows\downloaded programs .. does that mean nothing downloaded or can activeX go elsewhere?

Stuartli ... I have read the opposite, that activeX can allow virtually anything to run on your computer and be a way in for serious malware.

haval 07:07 15 Nov 05

my system uses windows xp 2- i am unable to install update from windows .error says that i dont have files installed to do this - then it asks if i would like to install these files it goes through the motions of istallation but then the same error crops up- i dont think i ahave activex working properly

Skills 17:22 15 Nov 05

You should start your own thread on the problems you are having, im sure somone will help get it sorted for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…