Active X controls

Bald Eagle 18:28 20 Jan 05

My power and telephone supplier has changed their site and my computer running XP Home will not allow me to download my bills because they use Active X. Is there a way to overcome this for this site and then reinstate it?

VoG II 18:49 20 Jan 05

Internet Explorer, Tools/Internet Options, Security tab. Custom Level button and change the settings for ActiveX controls.

GaT7 18:55 20 Jan 05

Try this: In IE go to Tools -> Internet Options. Click on the Security tab & then 'Custom Level'. Under ActiveX Controls & Plug-ins, select 'Prompt' or 'Enable' for all except the 'unsigned' & 'not marked as safe' where 'Disable' should be selected. Then click OK, Apply & OK. Now go the site & see if it makes a difference. G

Bald Eagle 18:12 21 Jan 05

Just when using the site I mentioned I enabled everything to do with ActiveX still no result. The only advice I get from the relevant site is a refferal to a Microsoft page that deals with Adobe 4 to 5 (I have6) and NetScape I use IE.

GaT7 18:31 21 Jan 05

Hi Ray, could you tell us which MS page, please? A link would be helpful. Ta, G

Bald Eagle 20:19 21 Jan 05

This is the email I received

We are sorry you are experiencing problems with your system, unfortunately this error is not connected with our web site, it may be that you have settings for Internet Explorer that are incorrect. Please see information below or visit the Microsoft Support web site for information (click here;en-us;Q262213) If you are still having difficulty viewing your bill then please contact us.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q262213

Error Message "Error Locating Object Handler" When Downloading a .pdf File

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows 2000
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5, 5.01, 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01, 5.5 for Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5, 5.01, 5.5 for Windows 98
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5, 5.01, 5.5 for Windows 95

When you attempt to download a Portable Document Format (.pdf) file, you may receive the following error message:

Error Locating Object Handler: There is no viewer available for the type of object you are trying to open. The following information is available about this object:

Address of object: http:// Web address

Content Type: text/html

Possible location of viewer: Microsoft ActiveX Gallery

Do you want to go to this location to download a viewer for this type of object?

If you click Yes, your browser is redirected to the following Microsoft Web site: click here

This behavior can occur when there is a dependency with a Netscape Navigator plug-in (Nppdf32.dll) for Adobe Acrobat Reader.

To resolve this behavior, perform the following steps:

Install the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader software from the following Adobe Web site: click here

Install the latest Netscape Communicator software from the following Netscape Web site: click here

Verify that the Nppdf32.dll file is in the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\Browser -and- C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Plugins

If the Netscape software is not installed on your computer, copy the Nppdf32.dll file from the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Reader\Browser folder to the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins folder.

For more information about how to copy files, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type copying, and then double-click the Copying Files, Folders, Files Or Folders, or To copy a file or folder topic.

If you use Adobe Acrobat Reader with Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher and you receive the preceding error when you attempt to open a PDF file, perform the following steps:

Close Internet Explorer 5.5.

Click Start, click Programs, and open Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0. or 4.5.

Click File, click Preferences, and then click General.

Click to clear the Web Browser Integration check box.

Close Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Restart Internet Explorer 5.5 and return to the Web page again. This time you are prompted to open the PDF file.

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

To work around this behavior, follow these steps:

In Adobe Acrobat 4.0, from the File Menu, select Preferences. Select General.

Under Options, click to clear the Open Cross-doc Links in Same Window check box, and then close the dialog box.

freaky 21:26 21 Jan 05

I have had this problem, provided you have enabled your security system to download ActiveX controls with your permission, and you have permitted this particulat site to download their ActiveX; then the problem is as follows: -

Your version of Adobe Reader is not compatible with their PDF files, i.e. you are probably using Adobe V6.0 or 7.0 and their PDF's are only compatible with an earlier version.

It's their problem but does not help you I am afraid.

GaT7 21:56 21 Jan 05

If you need to download a pdf file & IE is not letting you do so (or view it either) then a temporary workaround would be to install a download manager like FreshDownload click here, & use it to download the file. Then you can double-click the file to let the Adobe reader open it for you. G

GaT7 22:02 21 Jan 05

Other things to try would be uninstalling & reinstalling the Adobe reader, then if still no joy, doing an IE-repair (click here if you need to know how). Good luck, G

freaky 22:14 21 Jan 05

With due respect to Crossbow7. I would be very reluctant of attemting an IE-repair at this stage, you could end up with further problems.

If you have V7 of Adobe Reader, then uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs. Then download Adobe V6 and try again.

If no good then uninstall Adobe V6 as above, then download V5.

If still no good, then respond to this post with the result.

Bald Eagle 08:03 22 Jan 05

Thanks for the advice everyone. Due to going to France for 14 days there will be a delay in any more replies from me, i will try your suggestions though as soon as possible. freaky could be onto something. I am on Adobe6, my son is on 5 and I can download the files to his computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…