active desktop wont start also control panel gone

bigboab y 17:44 15 Oct 08

A friend has given me her desktop to fix..apart from being full of virusses etc (which I cleared out with AVG) her opening page asks if I want to restore the active dektop,When I click restore,nothing happens .I also noticed that in settings "control panel has been removed by administrator".
Any ideas how to fix this lot??

howard64 17:54 15 Oct 08

try sfc /scannow and see if that resets everything.

baldydave 22:23 15 Oct 08

If you have xp disc and coa code do a repair. boot off xp cd follow on screen instructions do not go for recovery console press next as though you are going to install a blue screen will appear with option to repair windows os installed take this option,it over writes system files only you will not lose data.

bigboab y 09:18 16 Oct 08

I went into safe mode and found that the pooter was booting to "guest" not "administrator". I removed the "guest" option and it is now booting ok with an active desktop.However,one or two things still dont work .The search option isnt working.I promised my friend I would try and keep all her music files which she got via Itunes ... search would let me find them assuming they are MP3's.I'll need to try and find them some other way. Any suggestions?

birdface 11:38 16 Oct 08

Maybe this might help. click here

brundle 11:43 16 Oct 08

.m4p for ITunes.

click here

ITunes library; click here

birdface 11:49 16 Oct 08

Or maybe this.click here;en-us;319949#XSLTH3137121123120121120120

birdface 11:50 16 Oct 08

Ignore last.

birdface 11:52 16 Oct 08
  bigboab y 13:10 16 Oct 08

Well done buteman..that Microsoft page fixed it using the "cmd" command ... alles ist ordnung now ..Many thanks once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant