Activation of Winxp requested. Due to Msconfig?

JIM 16:37 12 Jan 05

First time i have come across this,which caught me on the hop.Can anyone shed any light on a probable reason for it happening at all please.

Win.XP Sp2 Amd Athlon 2200+512 Ram and same system "specification" as delivered originaly bar a replacement of CD/RW of 3 months ago plus a home network setup with no major problems as with my system.

I have done an "Over the top install of Winxp" and a reinstall of SP2 etc.

--- (This was 4 weeks previous but "no" problems)

With to many processes of late accumulating,(due the amount of spyware software installed) hence was the reason for going into "Msconfig"

Disabled all "startup" items but then decided at the same time to disable my "Services" Whether it be the right or wrong move to make,there has been no problem in past with disabling both items before rebooting to the desktop.

This time upon Reboot i was greeted with "Re-activate" Windows.saying that to many hardware changes have been made and gave me a 3 day period to conform to. Upon seeing this i ignored the request,carried on then enabled services, in system configuration. Rebooted and once again met with the above.I then used the telephone option to activate and no problem.

But i do wonder why this happened,or have others come across the same situation at all?

Jim.

The Sack 16:42 12 Jan 05

I have had it happen after installing Nero and after installing new nForce drivers. As for disabling all your start up items thats not the best idea i have ever heard i must be honest, It would be a good idea to only turn off the ones that are not needed.

click here
click here

JIM 17:29 12 Jan 05

thank you for reply.

I have no problems or worries system or procedure wise with disabling all of my start up or services as it is a good aid to solving problems.(may create one)as proved this time around :) Have also repeated often today trying to duplicate.No problem.-- "BUT"

You may have struck a"cord" with NERO.Have in the last 2 weeks upgraded to Nero Reloaded plus after a wait,further updates last night. May be the cause somewhere along the line.Also installed nero image drive and though virtual (the drive) i am begining to wonder,as that was also disabled that today.

Thanks again.

Jim.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 12 Jan 05

I have done an "Over the top install of Winxp" and a reinstall of SP2 etc.

--- (This was 4 weeks previous but "no" problems)

This will overwrite certain files and registry settings.

You have 30 days to activate (4 weeks sounds about right).

JIM 18:11 12 Jan 05

Yes,i automatically took the stance that it had activated on completion after updates of XP.Used a backup of SP2 and installed then i believe 3 more KB hotfixes.(should have checked from the run command) eh!) - :)

I was away at times from the XP installation.The showing up as 3 day period to conform last night puts it in that time bracket.That i can accept with a little red face.

Thank you, for the quick responses.

Will tick as resolved. Jim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5