Activation puzzle.

TonyAA 18:02 25 Apr 05

I did a format of my hard disk 4days ago, reinstalled windows XP and activated online with no problems.Two days ago the keys icon appeared in taskbar and windows started asking for activation again.No hardware in the computer has been added or removed.A few minutes ago I went to the activation page and asked to be activated by phone as I wanted to ask why this had happened.Just started to speak to a rep. when we were cut off so I decided to activate later and went back to my desktop and found windows was activated again for some reason.

Where is it you can check your actual windows activation status as i'm a bit puzzled about what's happening.Anyone come across this.

timeteam2004 18:25 25 Apr 05

Click Start/Run and type in:Note there is TWO spaces after the .exe.
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

If windows is activated it will tell you.

Fingees 18:35 25 Apr 05

As a matter of interest, I had the same thing happen.
After fitting a new HD, I activated online OK.

A few days later, when I connected a music keyboard via USB, I was told too many alterations had been made and required activation.

I reactivated on line, but it happened twice more within a week.
So far, now ok.

TonyAA 22:22 25 Apr 05

Well windows says it's activated.Phone line was down for a day due to a fault and an electrician working in the house switched the mains power to computer off twice without telling me so maybe one of those things had something to do with.Just have to wait and see if it happens again.Never heard of windows de-activating itself then reactivating.

TonyAA 12:57 29 Apr 05

Windows has done it again (de-activated) and is giving me 15days for activation of XP home.I have done nothing to the computer.

Micro-Man 13:21 29 Apr 05

There is a free product by Licenturionr as recommended by PCA previously. I think the link is click here which gives you changes in your product activation status that Windows has detected that might require reactivation.

timeteam2004 16:56 29 Apr 05

Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit
Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents
In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify
Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows
Click OK and close regedit
Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a"
Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.DO NOT CALL THEM.
Click Change Product Key (at the bottom).
Enter your valid Product Key.
Press Update and close the window.
If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later
Restart your computer
Verify the change

After the workstation restarts, click Start > Run
Type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without the quotes.
Make sure the dialog box says 'your copy of windows is already activated'

jolorna 20:09 29 Apr 05

^

TonyAA 21:02 29 Apr 05

Micro-man,when I use this it says I have a oem version of windows which is not activated and then when I click ok it tells me windows is Fully Licensed. ?

timeteam 2004 did what you said but it says windows requires activation.

I think i'll just contact microsoft to see if they know what's going on.

Indigo 1 21:51 29 Apr 05

Saved for reference

Wuggy 16:28 30 Apr 05

>>bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…