Activating Windows product

emptyhand 14:41 02 Apr 08

I was recently given a PC by my cousin with Windows XP on it. Everything worked OK for around 3 weeks but last week I began getting the message, at log in stage, "this copy of windows needs to be activated within 7 days". When I tried to do this, it asked for the Product key which I dont have so i bypassed the message for the time being. However, now the 7 days are up and i cant log in at all. Is there anything I can do? My cousin is an IT guy and Im sure he would have told me if I had needed to do anything

Clapton is God 14:42 02 Apr 08

Call Microsoft and explain the problem

DieSse 15:28 02 Apr 08

Have you looked all over the case for a label, with the product key on it?

Why not ask your cousin first - he'll know what he's given you.

xania 15:31 02 Apr 08

If you go into Control Panel and select System, the general tab will show your product key.

Clapton is God 15:49 02 Apr 08

Your reply overlooks the fact that emptyhand has told us that s/he can't log in at all

emptyhand 16:05 02 Apr 08

would i be able to get past the log in bit by booting up in safe mode? to enable me to get to the control panel?

DieSse 17:35 02 Apr 08

No.

Where's the problem with asking your cousin what he's done?

Pamy 17:38 02 Apr 08

"My cousin is an IT guy" then this is the person to consult.

xania 09:55 03 Apr 08

Clapton is God - oops missed that part.

But who holds the licence for this copy of the software? That should have been passed over with the PC, otherwise, I wonder of its already been registered to another machine!!

Sorry, emptyhand, you may well have to buy your own copy of the OS.

emptyhand 10:16 03 Apr 08

Thanks everyone. I obtained a copy of xp from work and have now installed that. Only problem is that I've now lost everything that was on before. the desktop was completely 100% blank! Good job I hadnt had it long so I didnt have a huge amount of my own stuff on there. What a wally!

Sea Urchin 11:44 03 Apr 08

You may well find that within 30 days you need to activate this new copy of XP so be prepared this time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…