activating monitor speakers using a laptop

flumoxed 11:10 03 Jan 11

I use a Toshiba Equium laptop (which is ideal for my use) but have developed sight problems and have installed a Packard Bell Viseo 230W (23") monitor which gives HD (1080) clarity. The Tosh is effectively a PC until I need to take it with me. It is kept closed and I have a separate keyboard and mouse. The only thing that hasn't gone to plan is activating the built in monitor speakers. I'm stuck with the on-board Tosh ones. Can anyone please help me to cut out the Tosh and set up the Viseo? Many thanks.

QuizMan 12:09 03 Jan 11

Unless you have used an HDMI cable to connect the laptop and monitor, you may need to run a separate audio cable from ther monitor to the laptop

northumbria61 12:24 03 Jan 11

Computers have two seperate systems - one for video and one for sound.

The only computer (or laptop) connection that carries both video and sound is HDMI. If you do not have a HDMI/DVI connector on the back of your computer, then you will have to use the VGA-composite or s-video connectors to display your PC's output on an external monitor like an LCD TV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…