Acronis TrueImage7-only works once

cocteau48 15:43 23 Jan 07

I posted this thread on the Acronis forum but with no response-perhaps they thought that I was being a bit cheeky still using the freebie version!
"Being an absolute beginner to this imaging business and have just purchased my first external hard drive I downloaded Acronis7 to give it a try - and it worked beautifully - creating an image of my entire hard drive in under 20 minutes.
However the next time I tried to repeat the exercise the prog just hung at the last stage telling me that no backup had started.
I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the prog and once again it worked perfectly but the scenario repeated itself - when I attempted to use it a second time it hung at the last stage.
Can anyone point out where I may be going wrong here?"
(Yes I know I should have posted it on the best(PCA) forum first time round.)
Edit/Delete Message

terryf 15:45 23 Jan 07

Bite the Bullet and buy the latest version TI 10, you won't regret it ever

cocteau48 15:53 23 Jan 07

I would certainly consider buying the latest version terryf but would still like to find out if I am doing something wrong with the version which I am using at present.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:55 23 Jan 07

I had the same problem with Acronis True Image 7 from a magazine cover disk. I dumped it as it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Now using Paragon Drive Back-up 8 from a later issue of the same mag.

terryf 15:58 23 Jan 07
  six-h 16:33 23 Jan 07

I am pleased to see this posting as I too have a free copy of ATI (Either 7 or 8) from another mag cover disk and since I am currently running XP SP1 and want to connect to the internet soon,I have bought an external HD onto which I want to image my system as is (since it is working quite well) Then install SP2 and when satisfied all is well, re-image my system so that I have a Fall back in case it all goes mamery's aloft!
Certain questions arise, 1) How do you know the image is useable? 2)How do you use it in the event of a catastrope?

rawprawn 16:35 23 Jan 07

One point about Acronis TI 7 is that it won't work on SATA drives (At least I couldn't get it to work) My friend has just bought a new computer and loaded his TI 7 (bought) but it wouldn't work. He uggraded and all was OK.
I run TI 9 and I am happy with that, strangely I couldn't get the new Acronis 10 to work backing up emails on a free trial. I asked for assistance
but got no response which suprised me as Acronis have always been good in the past.

SB23 16:35 23 Jan 07

I'm using the freebie version too.

My backups are fine, but when I started using it I found that only a full backup will work, the incremmental doesn't. I also found that if you try to alter the compression, again the backup fails.
Other than those few things the program is great, but for a freebie I ain't going to complain.
As suggested, I am also going to upgrade to Version 10.

Steve

skidzy 16:42 23 Jan 07

I agree with with SB23,i have the same problem,it does not like the incremental backups only a full backup of the whole drive.
Though i have not yet had to use the image,i cannot vouch if it will work successfully.
Maybe its time to chance my luck :-0

cocteau48 16:46 23 Jan 07

SB23
The backup it does create is fine/I am quite happy doing a full backup/and I have not even tried to alter the compression. It's just that it does not seem to want to repeat the procedure without a reinstallation. No big problem really - I just wondered if I was doing something wrong?

pj123 17:45 23 Jan 07

Never used Acronis myself. I have always used xcopy for Win 98 and xxcopy or xxclone for win XP. All free.

xxcopy from click here and xxclone from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5