ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE PERSONAL

Snrub 14:14 17 Jul 09

I have this program loaded and have taken an image of my (C drive) a few months ago and saved it to (F drive) a removable hard disk drive. How do I copy this back to C drive and will it replace the current system data or just save it as a file I can open. I find Acronis very difficult to understand and don't want to play around with it unless I have some idea of how it works. Help on Acronis is not accessible on this free version.
Could someone please explain how to understand the mechanisms of this back up program which I find very difficult to understand?

Technotiger 14:36 17 Jul 09

If you mean that you have a Full Backup taken a few months ago, then to Restore that backup you should open Acronis and click on Backup and Restore, then choose the Restore option and follow the on-screen prompts.

By doing this though, you will be restoring your drive to exactly as it was at the time of making the image. Anything installed after the date of making the image, will be lost and would have to be re-installed.

I make regular full backups on a fortnightly basis. If I made frequent changes to my programs etc, then I would make more frequent backups.

kidsis 16:14 17 Jul 09

snrub, you don't say but you should also make a bootable disk with acronis which, when you need to restore your image, you insert in your laptop. (Sorry if you have already done this). I agree with Technotiger - make regular back ups.

Technotiger 16:29 17 Jul 09

Hi, the CD is only needed in the case of a hard-drive failure.

A Restore needed because of purely Software problems, does not need the disc.

howard64 17:13 17 Jul 09

if you need something from the backup I believe acronis allows you to restore just a file but not sure how. The other alternative if you have a spare hard drive is to restore to that.

Snrub 21:15 17 Jul 09

Thanks for replies. If I use Acronis and restore my C drive what effect does this have on XP System Restore, can I still use if I want to access recent changes or will Acronis have altered the various restore points?

Technotiger 21:22 17 Jul 09

Your system would be put back to exactly how it was at the time the Backup was created. After which, the built-in System Restore will then continue to create restore points in the normal way.

Technotiger 21:23 17 Jul 09

PS - as I said earlier, any recent changes will have to be re-installed or re-made.

lotvic 21:40 17 Jul 09

download the pdf User Guide from this page click here

Snrub 21:58 17 Jul 09

Thanks for replies had a quick look at pdf User Guide and will have to study later. It does seem like this is a difficult program to understand, maybe it's just me.

howard64 12:32 18 Jul 09

when you need it you wonder how you managed before. I used it to do a full backup to my external drive. 2 days later the drive went funny and disk diagnostics showed it was dying. When I got the replacement [under warranty] I did not even format the new drive I just installed it and booted from the acronis start up disk. With the external drive connected the prog did its work and 40 minutes later my system was as it had been when I did the backup. Great I did not have to alter a single thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…