Acronis True Image - On PC Advisor Cover Disk

PaulB2005 14:08 19 Apr 05

I finally got round to installing this and using it.

Made an image and a Rescue CD. Then i tried to use the Rescue CD to restore the image (just for practice) but the CD loads the Acronis TID splash screen and then goes black. My CAPS and SCROLL light start flashing and nothing happens. A friend also has this on his PC and everything works fine.

I've tried 3 Sony CDs and all the same.

Anyone else?

David4637 14:56 19 Apr 05

Try making the image to a partiton on the same drive. The deluxe version (cover disc) may, may not load back in using a spanned number of CDRs. I use this version from a partition and it worked fine. David

woodchip 15:00 19 Apr 05

It will work even on multiple discs as I use free version but as above I save Image to another Hard Drive or Partition

woodchip 15:04 19 Apr 05

If they are sized in Acronis then they can be copied from Hard Disc to CDR or CDRW disc and will still work

PaulB2005 15:08 19 Apr 05

Sorry I'll clarify.

The image is actually created on a Second Physical Hard Drive (and later backed up to an external hard drive).

The problem is with the Rescue CD that you are meant to boot from in order to start a restore should Windows not boot itself.

The boot CD will not work so i can start the procedure. Interestingly i have downloaded the version 8 trial and the Rescue CD from that works fine. It also support incremental images and is 3 times faster (under 10 minutes for an image vs over 30) so i maybe spending some cash soon......

Chris,M 15:12 19 Apr 05

I have also loaded Acronis and have not tried it yet. However,I have used both PowerQuests DRIVE COPY and CASPER which are both good.
PowerQuests Drive Copy also has a good backup utility but CASPER is only a facility to mount/dismount a drive and to copy a drive to another HDD (bootable) for transferring to another machine.

Chris,M 15:17 19 Apr 05

Just thought of something whist re-reading your message. I take it that you have set your BIOS to CD-ROM as first boot item?

PaulB2005 15:25 19 Apr 05

Yes. As stated it starts to boot from the CD, shows the splash screen and then the screen goes blank and the light on my keyboard flash.

Also as stated the rescue CD from the trial version 8 works fine. Just not the one that came on the cover of PC Advisor....

PaulB2005 16:30 19 Apr 05

Not to worry. Since i installed the Version 8 trial (which worked), i then uninstalled the v8 Trial and reinstalled the cover disk version which now refuses to run.

I've got another PC i can use the cover disk version on and i'll consider buying V8 for this one.

woodchip 16:50 19 Apr 05

Computer does not boot from a Acronis boot cd..... you have to create the boot floppies in Acronis and boot from them with the CD in the drive also. it load's Acronis from floppy disc then you restore from CD by selecting the drive with the IMAGE on it

PaulB2005 16:57 19 Apr 05

"Computer does not boot from a Acronis boot cd..... you have to create the boot floppies in Acronis and boot from them with the CD in the drive also. it load's Acronis from floppy disc then you restore from CD by selecting the drive with the IMAGE on it"

"Computer does not boot from a Acronis boot cd" Yes it does because i've done it before and with the version 8 trial.

"you have to create the boot floppies in Acronis and boot from them with the CD in the drive also"
Nope. Never used the floppy disks.

Remember i have done this on another PC. The image is stored on a second hard drive and i used the Rescue CD to restore the image stored on the second hard drive back to the first.

However what is happening on THIS PC is the Rescue CD doesn't boot at all - well the splash screen loads.

Also look above - i did exactly the same thing i am describing with the trial version of Acronis 8 and it worked. Just for some reason the Rescue Boot CD will not work on this PC.

Any chance it could be because this PC has SATA drives? (The older versions might support SATA?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now