Acronis true image old vs new

staples printer cartridge 18:51 04 Feb 06

Hi guys,
Acronis True Image 9 (£28) or True Image 8 (£18) - any opinions please?
Cheers
Ian

PaulB2005 18:57 04 Feb 06

8 is more stable at the minute. 9 is relatively new and has been beset with problems from the outset.

You can always download a trial from Acronis of 9 and see if it works...

Pine Man 19:39 04 Feb 06

I had all sorts of problems with the last three versions of Ghost and changed to TI9. It is a breath of fresh air.Easy to install, easy to use and very quick.

I am not sure what problems it is supposed to have been beset with but I haven't found any............. yet!

PaulB2005 19:46 04 Feb 06

See the Acronis Forums - click here - version 8 used to get a lot of threads but nothing on what version 9 has generated. Also lots of complaints that upgrading from TI 8 to 9 has introduced more problems rather than fix the ones that were supposed to fixed under version 8.

Maybe this happens with all software but the threads i see there now put me off upgrading at all from 8.

PaulB2005 19:48 04 Feb 06

Actually now i go and look again for the first time in a couple of months things have calmed down a lot. No more outcries about "Beta software"

terryf 19:57 04 Feb 06

Version 9 works for me but then I did load and use it after a clean re-install, backing up to an outboard HD attached thropugh USB as I gradually re-installed programs. I now have a backup of a clean re-install with all programs, I keep 'transient' stuff like docs and pics and backed up emails (using EA7) on a second hard-drive. I had problems using Ghost but so far no probs with Acronis.

iscanut2 21:59 04 Feb 06

I had problems with ver 8 even with the August 2005 patch installed. Would not get past 99% backup and thus back up file when verified showed as corrupted. Have installed ver9 with the latest January 2006 update and it works fine, with no problems at all !

woodchip 22:09 04 Feb 06

I have Version 9 with no problems thus fare but they do give free updates for the version until next comes in. I also got Acronis Disc manager 10 at the same time

rawprawn 08:07 05 Feb 06

I am running Version 7, and have done since it came out. I have no problems whatsoever, and it simply does what it says on the tin. I see no reason to upgrade. It has saved my bacon many times.

staples printer cartridge 15:13 05 Feb 06

cheers guys - I have ordered version 8.

Wuggy 16:27 05 Feb 06

If you are purchasing via download you should receive the most up to date version. However if you purchase via CD make sure you register on Acronis' web site and then download the most up to date version which is build 937. Once downloaded and installed remember to create the emergency recovery disk from the latest build. It contains updated drivers etc. particularly in relation to SATA and USB drives and peripherals. Couple of tips which might make imaging easier. Never use the option to check or verify an image during creation. It will almost invariably fail. Simply create the image and then once created use the 'Check Image' button from within the program's interface. Backing up to DVD/CD can also be problematic. Far easier to create an image on an internal HDD in sections of appropriate size and then burn to DVD/CD afterwards. It's also generally easier and certainly quicker to accept the default level of compression. The higher compression levels take considerably longer to create and result in only a very small reduction in file size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…