Acronis True Image - Corrupt Archive

johndrew 14:37 22 May 06

I recently purchased a copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 as many people on these forums recommended it. I registered it and updated to the latest build standard (937) from the Acronis site.

I created an image of my C: & D: partitions (one drive) on my external drive which Acronis said was successful and the log confirms. I then decided to check the image for errors. The checker started fine with the Task and Total progess bars moving up evenly. At about 50% of the Task progress the bar stopped moving but the Total bar continued to the end when I got a window saying the image was corrupt. I have repeated this 3 times in case there was something I had done during the check to confuse it.

I have opened the file on the external drive and the `Errors` file/tab (red disk, white cross) information says there are no errors.

The Helpfile gives me no direction.

Needless to say I am confused.

Should I not check archives for errors in this way?

Is the something wrong with the image archive even though the action was reported successful?

Is there any safe way of checking this file or must I go through the exercise of creating it again?

Any advised help would be appreciated.

rawprawn 14:40 22 May 06

I would go to Acronis support, I have always found them helpful. Yours is not a problem that I have come accross.

gudgulf 14:59 22 May 06

I have had problems like this when imaging the "C" drive.....I suspect they occur because the system is in use and this causes occasional errors.

When making a new full image this is what I do......boot the pc from the Acronis rescue boot cd.This gives you full access to Acronis and all your drives.....I then make the "C" drive backup from there.

Since you haven't booted Windows you get a perfect image.

You don't need to do this for anything but full backups of the main system.Other drives and all incremental backups work fine from within Windows.

I would also trust the image check facility...it goes through every single file...something you can't do manually from a mounted image.Far better to redo the whole image until the checker gives a clean bill of health than find your image fails to restore when you need it.

One other quirk I've noticed (I have Acronis 7) is that it reads from my USB external drive much better if the drive is the only USB device connected.

Caså 17:52 22 May 06

I agree with gudgulf.I only use the rescue boot cd...never had a prob.Also on ver 7

Wuggy 22:37 22 May 06

"I created an image of my C: & D: partitions (one drive)"
I'm not sure if I have read your post correctly but is it the case that you created an image of the entire drive which had 2 partitions C & D on it?
If so have you tried making an image of each partition separately i.e. one image for C and aanother image for D. Your description of the progress bar while error checking indicates a problem about halfway through. Could this be at the end of the C drive and it's not continuing onto D. Just a stab in the dark but it may be worth trying. I have used Acronis in versions 7 and 8 for the past few years and have never had a problem, but I always image each partition separately.

woodchip 23:06 22 May 06

I think it's a Bug in the Program, as all seem to get it but it does not appear to affect the Image when restored. I do not now bother checking for errors. As there is nothing you can do about it

johndrew 10:21 23 May 06

Thanks for all your responses.

The reason for my long break in updating you is that I booted from the Rescue Disk and made an another image of the drive (single drive, 2 partitions C: & D:) as I did before. It took 10 hours and when I verified it with the Aconis tool I got the same result.

I have contacted Acronis but to date they have only suggested an upgrade to v9.0 - perhaps they failed to understand that I have only just bought v8.0. I have gone back for more help. I think they should offer more than extra expense.

Perhaps the next move is to make an image only of one partition and see if that works. I am a bit unhappy in not checking the image as Acronis haven`t admitted a bug exists but did advise using the tool at all times.

Any more suggestions please?

johndrew 19:32 23 May 06

I booted normally and did an image of the C: partition only. When I verified it I reported as corrupt.

I then booted from the Rescue Disk and did another image of the same partition. On completion I re-booted to normal Windows and verified that. The progress bars followed each other for the first 20 green blocks then the top line stopped and the lower continued to completion.

Fully expecting another rejection I waited til the bitter end and was very surprised (and pleased) when I got a green disk/white exclamation mark and was told that verification was successful!!

Question:
Has anyone any idea why the upper bar stopped and the lower continued? It seems odd to me but then I`m inexperienced in both Acronis and PCs.

Wuggy
Your system seems to work. Now for the other partition, but do I need to do it from the Rescue Disk? By asking I hope to save 4 hours waiting!!!

Thanks again everyone.

woodchip 22:12 23 May 06

I have version 9 it's just the same. As I said above it's a bug in the software, and it looks like there not botherd about fixing it. Cose it does not stop it working OK

woodchip 22:14 23 May 06

Just don't bother checking it. As there's nothing you can do with it once it's made

Wuggy 22:26 23 May 06

If your D partition isn't your Windows partition then you should be able to image it from within Windows without booting from the emergency disk. Having said that I make an image of my C Drive (I partition, 160 GB) on a regular basis from within Windows XP and have never had a problem verifying it. Glad you're half sorted at least.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…