Acronis True Image 9 - Incremental Images

tammer 22:17 11 May 07

Well guys,

It finally happened to me. Windows went pear shaped and kept freezing within seconds of start up. I thought - I know, I bought an external hard drive and Acronis True Image (ATI) and I've taken a full disk image, and incremental images every so often so that my laptop's hard drive is mirrored on my Ext HDD, so I'll be fine.

However, how on earth does one restore the incremental images? The ATI software appears to only allow one image to be restored at a time, and asks you to delete the existing partition before doing so. Surely then, if you try and load up your increments, you have to wipe the full (newly restored) back up first.

In the end, I inadvertently wiped my hard drive (ok, I'm a bit of a novice with windows failures) and have had to reinstall windows from scratch. ATI would appear to have its strengths, but it's really not very good if you're not familiar with it.

Does anyone know how I would have been able to get an up to date image (including increments) on to my laptop?

woodchip 22:21 11 May 07

You should be able to Restore a Image using the Acronis boot disc, then restore from Hard Drive. you should not need to touch your XP disc when using Acronis

Trackrat 23:55 11 May 07

The incremental back ups are only changes made since you took the full image.
As Woodchip says you use an Acronis boot disk.
When it starts the restore it restores the full image and the incremental images as well.
It has saved my bacon a few times.

beeuuem 00:38 12 May 07

When you restore you can select which incremental image you want to restore. If you had a problem with your last setup you can restore to a point before you made any recent changes which are on your last incremental backup.
TI will restore the full image plus those increments up to the one you choose. If you choose the last image you made it wll restore the full first image and all the incremental images.

tammer 06:51 12 May 07

Thanks folks.

I obviously made a real blunder. I think I'm better off now with carrying on with the clean install, as I've got most of my software back on.

I'll take a new image when the laptop's back to a fully loaded up state and that'll be my rescue disc from now on.

My experience of ATI was - restore the full image: takes 54 mins, ask it to restore full + 1 increment: takes 2 hours. I had 5 incremental images (between a few weeks ago and 1 year ago) so it would have taken roughly the same amount of time to do a clean reinstall on the face of it.

I had cancelled the restore when I got the 2 hours message and I think my disk had been wiped by that stage. I'm a bit wary of using ATI again, I must admit.

Technotiger 07:25 12 May 07

Hi, I also use ATI, never had to use it in 'anger' thankfully. However, don't take any notice of the fact that it will usually say Two Hours to go etc, just let it make the image, within a few minutes you will see the 2hours reduced to something like 1hr25mins or similar. Although it starts off saying 2 hours or whatever, it never takes that long - more like 30-45 minutes.

Technotiger 07:27 12 May 07

BTW, don't forget to make a Boot CD when you create your backup - you will need this to start the Restore if/when needed.

tammer 08:18 12 May 07

I know all about things like WEP security, firewalls, CC cleaner etc. but I'm a novice in other areas.

How do I create a boot CD?

Tammer

Technotiger 08:33 12 May 07

Well you might not need to create a boot cd, that is, if you have the Original Acronis CD, because that is in fact a bootable cd. This is what you would use to start the Restore process.

Otherwise, Acronis would normally ask you if you wish to create a bootable cd, so if you do not have an original Acronis cd then you would answer Yes.

woodchip 12:48 12 May 07

You only need to create a boot CD if like me you bought Acronis online. And did not get the retail boxed version. This is in the Programs on the Desktop under Acronis

tammer 13:06 12 May 07

I'll mark this as resolved but I'll start a new thread as my newlly installed windows is playing up. AAAarrrgghhhh!! Been at it since 7am this morning.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…