Acronis True Image

Gary Wood 22:53 12 Aug 07

I am trialling Acronis True Image as a backup solution. I have defined a backup whereby an incremental backup happens each day, with a new, full backup being taken every 30 days.

I only want to keep each full backup (and it's associated incremental backups) for 3 months. That is, a backup created on 1 January, and the incremental backups created 2 January-30 January 2007 should be deleted on 1 April.

Is it possible to automate this housekeeping task, or do I have to manually delete the backup and it's incremental additions? I'm hoping for the former, but whichever is the case, I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me how, because it doesn't seem obvious.

Many thanks,

Gary

€dstowe 07:38 13 Aug 07

If you are backing up to Acronis Secure Zone, it will automatically delete the oldest files when there is insufficient space in that partition to accommodate a new backup. This only happens with a full backup. If there is not enough space to take an increment it will tell you either to increase the size of the Secure Zone or to make a full backup - it will then delete the oldest.

I don't bother with incremental backups now. An incremental takes almost as long as a full so I opt for a full backup every time.

laurie53 08:31 13 Aug 07

Me too

Gary Wood 08:39 13 Aug 07

Thanks for your replies.

If I'm not backing up to Acronis Secure Zone, is there a way I can manage the number of backups kept?

Probabilitydrive 08:47 13 Aug 07

I use an external HD (WD-My book) for (full)back-up purposes. An Acronis back-up is about 60 GB, so once in a while I simply delete one of them and keep the most recent one. No need to automate this process.

Gary Wood 09:21 13 Aug 07

Thanks Probability drive. That's what I'll have to do.

I'm completely unsurprised by the number of letters you see in the computing press from readers who haven't bothered with backups and suddenly see the need after loosing data.

Having spent the last week evaluating various packages, none of them makes the task as easy as it should be.

True Image is one of the better ones but its big fault is that although it can start new full backups automatically, it can't automatically delete old backup sets, unless I set up a secure store.

Norton Ghost is better in that respect in that it lets me set the number of full backups which should be kept. However, it seems mainly geared towards full drive imaging and is hopeless at handling file and folder backups - there's no way (at least that I could find) of starting a new full backup for files and folders periodically, and hence a file intentionally deleted from the source drive will stay in the backup forever!

If only the two packages could be combined, things would work in the way they should. That is, users would define full backups to occur at the start of the month, with subsequent incremental backups for the rest of the month, before the next full backup runs. The system would automatically manage the number of full backups (and related increments) kept, and only keep X (user specified) number of versions.

If anyone knows of another program that will do this, please let me know! For now, I guess, I'll just have to put up with intervening in the backup process more often that is ideal.

Thanks,

Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…