acronis true image

adamagain 23:20 10 Nov 05

Ive tried the free trial for this but i cant seem to understand how it works

I want to just copy the whole of c hard drive inc operating system
I want to copy to my e drive
But it seems to say it will overrite all the date thats on the e drive at the moment

is there away to do it without this

BRYNIT 00:04 11 Nov 05

Start Acronis True image

1 Click on create image then start now this will open a wizard.

2 Click next

3 Put a tick in box next to the drive Boot C, click Next

4 If you wish to copy to E: drive, were it say file name enter E:\and file name you wish to call it, click next

5 Sellect full backup image, click next

6 If you are just keeping it on the E: drive leave as automatic, click next and folllow the wizard to the end.

PaulB2005 07:27 11 Nov 05

True Image works in two ways.

1) It can IMAGE a drive. This takes all the data on your C Drive and then compresses it in to one file which you store on another drive such as your E Drive. You can restore the C Drive from the file on the E Drive at a later date.

2) It can CLONE a drive. This will copy the contents of the C Drive to the E Drive and make it bootable. This is used to move the operating system and all files to a new hard drive in the case of upgrade or a failing C Drive.

The method you want to use depends on what you are actually trying to do.

adamagain 23:52 13 Nov 05

Hi I see what you mean but it says you have to remove the olc hard drive if you use the clone methord

or can you just leave it there anyway

PaulB2005 08:55 14 Nov 05

"says you have to remove the olc hard drive if you use the clone methord"

You must have mis-read something because the Clone Method copies the contents of one disk to another. The only time you need to remove the disk is to swap it over to make it the bootable drive.

fitcher 11:42 14 Nov 05

I find with acronis can make another image of your hard drive ,,and then copy (clone )that image..then you are not copying from a working system. I get no problems that way

jz 18:12 14 Nov 05

What's the equivalent procedure with Norton Ghost?

adamagain 23:28 15 Nov 05

It definitely says, when you select the pick a task screen, and you select the clone disc option
On the next screen it says do you want to do this automatic etc
at the bottom it says that you will have to remove the old disc after etc

So do you have to do this

woodchip 23:32 15 Nov 05

If you create a Image to another drive that's all you need to do to have a secure backup to restore from

woodchip 23:33 15 Nov 05

PaulB2005 07:21 16 Nov 05

"you will have to remove the old disc after etc"

AFTER - the key word that was missing before....

You don't need to REMOVE it as you can then format it and use it as a slave drive. However as you'll have two identical hard drives with bootable copies of XP on it you might have to try and work out which one is the new disk and make sure you boot with that one. Then format the old one when in Windows.

So no, you don't have to REMOVE the disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…