Acronis True Image 11 and SATA drives

Simsy 04:53 09 Apr 08

Folks,

I recently got a Toshiba laptop with Vista, and a SATA drive.
I've used TrueImage 8 for a long time, but it's not Vista compatible so I bought version 11, (along with Acronis Disc Director 10), and have had a lot of problems with them both.

I had another thread, click here ,running about problems with Disc Director Suite.

I'm REALLY disappointed with Acronis TrueImage 11, because...

1) I can't boot into True Image from the recovery media. The PC does boot up... but True Image refuses to load. It seems to be a problem with SATA drives.

2) I can't boot into True Image from the secure zone!! It says it's loading..... 30 mins later there's no change!! This seems to be, internet research would indicate, a SATA drive problem.

(These two situations mean that if I find myself with a situation where my system is so screwed up that it wont boot, I CAN'T RESTORE AN IMAGE!! which is the whole point of me getting True Image!!)

3) Other than an automatically generated response, saying I should have a reply WITHIN 24 HOURS, I've heard NOTHING from Acronis support since I emailed them 4 days ago.

4) Investigating this on the internet it seems I'm not alone. There are many reports, in various fora, of others having the same experiences.

I should perhaps add that this is a new, clean, installation of Windows Vista, I tinkered a bit too much and had to do a resore to factory settings operation. (As it turns out that was a bit of a blessing becasue it does install all the drivers etc, but not the bloatware trial stuff!!)

Can anyone out there confirm they they have managed the following;
Booting into Acronis True Image 11 using CD recovery media, with SATA drive(s)?

(I can run True Image from Windows. It's OK with SATA then.)

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

AlanHo 06:55 09 Apr 08

My Vista Desktop has 3 SATA hard drives - but a normal IDE DVD drive.

It boots up OK with the Acronis recovery CD and I have used it to restore my computer with no problems.

Is your BIOS set to boot from the DVD drive first?

I am surprised at the lack of response from Acronis support - I had problems last year which they were very prompt and helpful with - they were most gracious when it turned out to be a hardware problem rather than their software.

If not the above try a post on Wilders forum.
click here

Simsy 09:04 09 Apr 08

Yes, it's booting from the DVD drive OK, and goes through the initial stages of loading TI... but doesn't go beyond that.

It's the same whether booting from Recovery CD or the Secure zone.

The Wilders forum was, I think, one of the places I saw reference to this being a problem... but I'll investigate there further.

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 09:14 09 Apr 08

thst the PC does boot successfully from other bootable CDs with no problem.

Regards,

Simsy

starfish1 09:28 09 Apr 08

I'm having the same problem, I can't get past the loading screen - left it for an hour last night - nada. Thankfully mine is the trial version, I would be very nervous about trying to restore an image as I understand people have had major problems with the MBR. I would not buy this product until all the glitches are sorted out.

My drive is ATA by the way.

woodchip 09:57 09 Apr 08

First thing you should do when you have these kind of problems, Contact Acronis

I am Spartacus 10:27 09 Apr 08

I've had this problem for a couple of months and it's still not resolved. Acronis haven't bothered replying to 2 separate inquiries for 2 different systems, 1 XP and 1 Vista. Not happy.

System boots from the CD then after selecting Acronis it just gives loads of errors (after about 30 minutes) and hangs.

I've managed to get it to boot from a version 10 recovery CD in SAFE mode but it doesn't find any disks.

3 SATA hard drives and 2 IDE DVDRW.

Simsy 15:55 25 Apr 08

I now have Paragon Hard Disc Manager 8.5, (from cover of latest ComputerShopper). The bootable recovery CD made from this works fine.

The only drawback that I can see with it so far is that the "drive imaging" is a bit more cumbersone than TrueImage, and the resulting image files are given very long names.

I've yet to actually restore from an image, so I don't know if that part of it works ok... but at least I can boot into the programme from CD, something I'd not previously been able to do.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…