Acronis TI

shellship 18:52 19 Jan 09

I have a full back up and lots of incremental ones in my external hard disk. Is it necessary to keep all the incremental ones or will just the last one be sufficient - beginning to take up too much space!

Kingfisher 19:07 19 Jan 09

My advice is not to do any incremental backups, the more you have the more chance of a glitch and one of them letting you down and not being able to restore your backup, I do a full back up twice a week and usually keep no more than three backups

Technotiger 19:32 19 Jan 09

I agree with Kingfisher - I don't make many changes in my hardware or software, so I only make Full backups fort-nightly to an External hard drive. I keep my last two backups. Also when making a Full backup, don't forget to Validate it.

A Full backup, restores quick than Incremental or Differential Backups.

Bris 20:32 19 Jan 09

DONT get rid of ANY incremental backups unless you wish to wipe the lot including the initial full backup and start again. Incremental backup works by only saving files that have changed since the LAST incremental backup so it establishes a chain of changes such that if you need to do a restore you restore the full backup first and then each of the incremental backups in the order they were created. Removing some at random will destroy the chain and invalidate the backup. A better method is to use DIFFERENTIAL backups where you create a full backup to start with then a differential backup as required which saves ALL changes since the last FULL backup that way if you need to restore you need only to restore the full backup plus the LAST differential backup. It takes longer to create a differential backup than an incremental one but its much safer and a restore will be much quicker and less labour intensive.

If using incremental backups its essential that you manage them i.e. if you just create one full backup and then several hundred incrementals trying to do a restore would be a nightmare it would be much better to do a full backup followed by say 10 increments and then start again.

Before removing them it is advisable to create a new backup first somewhere else so that you are not exposed should a catastophe occur.

Technotiger 20:40 19 Jan 09

Full backup, restores quick than Incremental or Differential Backups.............Slight amendment = restores quicker than ......

woodchip 21:17 19 Jan 09

I make a Image now and again, plus drag Mail folder and any other stuff I may want to put back to another drive, as above

shellship 10:31 20 Jan 09

Thanks to all. Very helpful. Will only schedule full backups and will try remember to delete old ones when my external HD gets too full.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5