Acronis Question

rossgolf 17:27 18 Aug 08

hi,
i was just a bit stuck with all the options in Acronis True Image.
will the Clone Disk function just basically copy my hard drive so if i take out my main one, the one i cloned it to will be able to boot in to windows?
also, any advice for using the software like the best way to back up with it?
cheers
ross

Diemmess 17:57 18 Aug 08

Version 10 which I have, apparently cannot cope with Vista but otherwise just as you hoped.

A backup of the OS drive (C:) can be stored out of the way to a non-involved drive or partition and provided the new HD has at least as much space as the original, Restore will overwite everything on the new drive so that it can now carry on as the primary drive.

You can save masses of data the same way. It doesn't suit me except perhaps for stuff I may never need again.
You can find and rescue the lot or even single files, but I prefer copy and paste from an isolated archive for my almost forgotten data.

Batch 18:05 18 Aug 08

Clone Disk should work just as you outlined.

To do this you need the system to reboot in the Acronis shell (i.e. not be running Windows).

The best way to do this is to create a Bootable CD (one of the Acronis options) and then boot from that CD.

rossgolf 18:33 18 Aug 08

cheers,

woodchip 18:52 18 Aug 08

All you need do is choose backup, then choose create a Image. You have to copy this to another Partition or drive. This will boot as it does now after you restore the Image to the new Drive

woodchip 18:54 18 Aug 08

It will work with Vista if you use the Acronis Disc to boot from, or create a Rescue disc in the Program in Windows after loading it to the hard drive

woodchip 18:56 18 Aug 08

I know it will work as I have used version 9 on my Sons Computer To create a Image for safety, other than the Medion Restore Disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…