acronis query

TheJam 09:41 11 May 07

we have 2 laptops and 2 pcs in the household
if i purchased a large enough external drive would it be possible to create an image of each individual pc
on the one hard drive?

TheJam 12:39 11 May 07

^

isca2 12:44 11 May 07

As the software would need to be installed on each of the 4 machines, I would presume that you would infringe the software licence agreement. I am no expert, but to do it legally, youuld need 4 licences ! Anyone feel otherwise ? As far as the external drive is concerned, as long it had enough Gigabytes then I do not see why it should not be possible subject to the above caveat.

Eric10 13:13 11 May 07

You could install Acronis on 1 PC and make a rescue CD. You can then boot the other computers from the rescue CD and create their images using that. Since the software is only installed on one PC then I don't think you will be infringing the licence.
So long as you use different names for each of your images or put them into separate folders then you can store as many as will fit on your external drive.

Pine Man 13:19 11 May 07

No problem at all doing this as far as putting four different images on one drive is concerned as long as you gave them very clear names to avoid problems at times of reinstallation!

As far as putting the software on 4 machines that would be a matter for your conscience although you certainly could do it in theory.

Pine Man 13:25 11 May 07

I was typing my response while you were posting yours!

I don't think you can use a rescue CD to create an image. From memory all it would do is allow you to restore an image from another location.

In any event I think you are splitting hairs because basically a rescue CD still contains all of the Acronis software and to make it work it is installed (temporarily) in RAM.

TheJam 13:35 11 May 07

ok thanks for replies

im just in planning stage at the moment

ive sent acronis an email to see if im allowed to install on more than one machine in a domestic residence.
I just wanted clarification that i could have four images on the ext drive,

Thanks for clearing that up.

stylehurst 14:08 11 May 07

The Jam
I do exactly what you are asking about, namely store images from different machines on an external HDD. I would strongly suggest that you partition your external HDD so you have a separate partition for each machine.

TheJam 15:25 11 May 07

Thanks stylehurst,
what software do i need to partition

Eric10 15:39 11 May 07

I've been out for a few hours so have only just seen your post. I've just booted a PC from my Acronis Rescue CD and Backup is the first option on the menu.

stylehurst 17:04 11 May 07

The Jam
You can partition with the Windows software (FDisk if I remember correctly) personally I prefer the Acronis program Partition Expert, but there is Partion Magic & sundry others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…