acronis disk image,

Magik ®© 11:35 03 Sep 05

hi, just got the above to-day, my OS is XP and ntfs, followed the instructions and copied the laptop contents to a maxtor external HDD, the maxtor is fat32, will my back-up remain as NTFS..i have read the manual, but can not get my head around it.

thanks

bremner 11:38 03 Sep 05

NTFS and FAT32 are just file systems. The way that the data is stored. The actual data is the same on both.

Magik ®© 11:41 03 Sep 05

hi, so if or when i go to restore the contents, It will still be NTFS? thanks

VoG II 11:45 03 Sep 05

Yes. Restoring the image won't change the file system.

I have a similar set-up. Internal HDD NTFS, external one FAT32 using Norton Ghost rather than Acronis. Restoring the image just writes the data back to the drive.

dave_and_confused 11:47 03 Sep 05

Yes it will still be NTFS.

The file system used to store the image file in no way changes the content of the image.

For example if you burnt an image to CD or DVD the image wouldn't be restored with the CDFS or DVD equivalent.

Many people back up NTFS partitions and copy the images to external AFT32 drives and recover from those drives successfully.

Magik ®© 11:48 03 Sep 05

Thank you ...all sorted..

Magik ®© 11:49 03 Sep 05

thanks, I will understand it all one day..

bremner 12:16 03 Sep 05

The file system is simply a method of recording what the data is and where it is stored on the computer.

An analogy would be a filing cabinet for reports with twenty six sections titled A - Z. The reports are filed according to the first letter of their title.

Another system is a series of three hundred and sixty six pigeonholes, one for each day of the year. The same reports as before are placed in the pigeon hole corresponding to the their date of completion.

Here it does not matter under which system you file the report - its contents do not change - you can move it from one system to the next without loss of data.

Likewise with computer data - we can use FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3 or CDFS as our storage system it doesn't matter, the data never changes.

dave_and_confused 12:24 03 Sep 05

Basically imaging is not like backing up. When you backup you copy individual files from location A to B for safe keeping. Imaging is different.

Imaging is like a snapshot of your system, the same as some types of Rescue CD you get with PCs.

Instead of concerning itself with individual files it just makes a copy of all the data on the disk from start to finish (regardless of where a file starts and finishes and gaps inbetween) and compresses it in to one file.

When you restore the Image is "rolled out and laid down" on the disk like a carpet. Any existing data is destroyed. The image can even be restored to a "bare metal drive" which is where the disk is fresh from the factory and hasn't been formatted. The disk doesn't need to be formatted because the image contains the exact image of a disk with data that was formatted for NTFS. As the resulting disk will be digitally identical to the original it doesn't need to be pre-formatted. If you restored over the top of a FAT32 disk then resulting disk would still be in the original NTFS system because the image just wipes over the top of the old data. It doesn't concern itself with individual files - just the blocks of data.

As for where you store the image file - it doesn't matter (as long as it's not on the same disk you wish to Image and Restore). If you take an image of an NTFS disk and store it on a FAT32 disk that won't affect the image because the information that the image is NTFS is in the data inside the Image file.

Magik ®© 13:02 03 Sep 05

thank you both for those last two posts, you could both get a job writting the instruction manuals... i now understand..........nice one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…