Acronis cloning

Kingfisher 20:02 02 Dec 09

I have two 80 gig hard drives c & d, I wish to clone c:drive to a larger hard drive, silly question but how do I get power and ide connections to new hard drive and do I need to use a caddy, I could put the new drive in the d:drive bay but will the new drive then be seen as d and not c,I have acronis installed on my pc and am familiar with how to use it.OS is win xp sp3
many thanks

Technotiger 20:04 02 Dec 09

Yes, get a USB caddy for the larger drive for the Cloning procedure, then simply swap the drives over.

woodchip 20:33 02 Dec 09

If you fit the Drive in a USB Caddy you can Clone it but I Used Acronis to create a Image to a External Drive then fitted a Bigger Drive in my Laptop And Restored the Image Even the Original Restore disc will still work with it

Kingfisher 21:09 02 Dec 09

Thanks Technotiger and Woodchip, but I am sure I read somwhere that you you cannot create a backup image to an external hard drive and then restore it to a new hard drive, if you can then what is the function of clone in Acronis
thanks

Technotiger 21:34 02 Dec 09

Acronis Clone is definitely the way to go ... don't try messing with backups!!

Cloning is very straightforward, just use all the Default settings and Acronis will do what is needed.

InTheCity 21:54 02 Dec 09

you can restore a back up image on a new hard drive,Im typing this response on it.If you couldnt and your hard drive died where would you be?
Clone is to be used when simply replacing a drive for a larger one i presume.

Technotiger 22:01 02 Dec 09

.... simply replacing a drive for a larger one ....

Exactly, and that is all Kingfisher wants to do!!

InTheCity 22:09 02 Dec 09

Granted but if the op created a back up image to his d drive.It would be case of swapping the new drive in to place and restoring the image no need for caddy etc.

InTheCity 22:14 02 Dec 09

thats assuming enough space on D for image.

Kingfisher 23:13 02 Dec 09

thank you all for your comments,should be able to sort it now

woodchip 23:43 02 Dec 09

I used a Image on my Medion Laptop changed from a 30gig to a faster 60Gig and its never faulted.

InTheCity
A Clone works as soon as you put the New Drive in, It would not work putting a Image on the same drive as the one you wanted to Restore it to.

I created the Image to a External USB drive then fitted the New bigger Laptop Drive then used Acronis to restore the Image to the new Drive. admitted the old partition sizes was the same as the old. so these need expanding after

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5