acronis clone

cagey 23:15 01 Jul 10

I'm about to replace the 160Gb hd in my son's Toshiba Satellite laptop (Vista) with a 500 Gb drive, using acronis clone (seagate disc wizard). Will there be any problem using this method as the old HD is partitioned into 2 partitions (c: & d:), will both partitions transfer ok and does the different size of the drives cause any problems?

woodchip 23:39 01 Jul 10

It should work okay if you clone the full disc. But I use Acronis and created a Image I have used this method on a Medion Laptop when fitting a bigger and faster drive

cagey 13:39 02 Jul 10

i'm failing at the first hurdle with this cloning. I've installed the new drive in the laptop and installed the original (source)drive via a SATA/IDE to USB2 adapter. I enter the bios boot section and have selected to boot from "HDD Toshiba MK1637GSX-USB2", but when I press F10 to "Save & Exit" it asks me to confirm Yes/No, I confirm Yes , but it is not saved. What am I doing wrong?

BRYNIT 14:51 02 Jul 10

I haven't used Acronis for a while so someone may correct me.

If you are booting from the Acronis boot disk you don't need to change anything in the bios the Acronis boot disk should detect both HD.

If you are using Acronis from within Windows you will need to do it the other way. Have the original disk in the laptop and the replacement in the adaptor. Clone the disk and the change it over.

If you are using a larger HD you may have to extend the partitions to use the full drive, you just have to remember. If you forget you can create a further partition later or use a partition program like Easeus Partition master Free click here to extend the partitions.

woodchip 14:54 02 Jul 10

You should leave the old hard disc in place while you clone it

cagey 15:10 02 Jul 10

woodchip That's what I thought, but Acronis instructions clearly state "For best results, install the target (new) drive where you plan to use it and the source drive in another location, e.g. in an external USB enclosure. This is especially important for laptops." But back to my last posting, why doesn't bios save my selection of boot drive?

cagey 21:56 02 Jul 10

BRYNIT & woodchip, did what you suggested of reversing the drives and glad to say everything went fine, including the partitions having the right correct size. Thanks for your help. One releived Dad and one happy son.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…