Acronis backup XP now has Vista Business installed

Sparkly 11:56 09 Jul 10

Hi everyone i recently made a full backup of an XP machine useing Acronis as the H/D was playing up,the person who owns the PC bought sent it back to PC World i think he had on a business lease and has had the same PC returned to him but it now has Vista Business installed, will the backup of the XP System go back as it was on the now Vista OS?
Many thanks on any help.

northumbria61 12:07 09 Jul 10

By full backup I gather you mean a "Clone" of your hard drive was made -ie. Everything including the O.S. ? If so, yes it will "overwrite" it.

Sparkly 12:18 09 Jul 10

Hi northumbria61
the backup i did for him was a Backup My Computer the entire disc!
"Everything including the O.S. ? If so, yes it will "overwrite" it." by this do you mean that the PC will become XP again instead of Vista? if so how will this affect the COA as the sticker is now Vista Business and not the XP COA originally installed if any further need for an XP Disc is needed.

northumbria61 14:13 09 Jul 10

Certificate Of Authenticity

It verifies that the copy you have is genuine - although that doesn't matter now as Microsoft use Technology that confirms it is a legal copy when you register it

northumbria61 23:40 09 Jul 10

If your XP was a genuine copy for that machine it will be okay - either OEM or retail version. Boot from the backup just to prove the point.

Sparkly 06:57 10 Jul 10

Morning northumbria61
The copy of XP was genuine and i am sure that you are correct in what you say "either OEM or retail version. Boot from the backup just to prove the point." I was just thinking along the lines if something went wrong further down the road and needed to repair windows,
"Everything including the O.S. ? If so, yes it will "overwrite" it." i was worried that allthough i have an XP disc we no longer have the XP COA sticker adhered to the machine they have replaced it with a Vista Business COA, thanks for your help.

northumbria61 10:46 10 Jul 10

There are details here of how to find your Windows XP Product Code should you ever need it in the future. click here

Top 13 FREE Product Key Finders - click here

If that fails - If you need to install Windows XP but you still can't find your Windows XP product key, even with an XP key finder, you have two choices.

You can either request a replacement product key from Microsoft or you can purchase a brand new copy of Windows XP.

Requesting a replacement XP product key is going to be cheaper but if that doesn't work out, you may in fact have to buy a new copy of Windows.

If you keep a backup of your Hard Drive I doubt you will ever need to reinstall therefore you won't need the Product Key.

I am a great believer in backups - I have 2 internal HDD,s installed and I CLONE every 2 days - that way I can be sure that I will be "up and running" again within minutes should a problem occur.

northumbria61 10:52 10 Jul 10

Forgot to answer this - "I was just thinking along the lines if something went wrong further down the road and needed to repair windows" You would only ever need the Product Key if you were to to do a complete reinstall and not a repair (ie inserting XP disc to repair files etc.)

Sparkly 11:09 10 Jul 10

Hi again northumbria61
Thanks for the in depth help and the links you seem to have taken care of everthing.
Many thanks will tick this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…