Acronis backup wirelessly .... is it possible?

cocteau48 11:02 15 Feb 09

I have successfully imaged up my laptop system (using Acronis TI 12) both to a separate partition on the laptop and,via a USB cable to my external hard drive on the desktop.
Both are successful and will restore OK.

Should it be possible to carry out a backup wirelessly to the same external hard drive.

The external HD can be seen on the network and within the Acronis interface and Acronis will generate a backup name but when I try to proceed I am told that "I do not have enough priviledges to carry out the operation and that I should choose another location" It may be that Acronis does not accept a wireless connection as being a reliable way to create a backup - or should this,in theory,be possible?

Technotiger 11:09 15 Feb 09

I have not done it myself, but I would agree that this would appear to be possible at least in theory.

Have you tried the Acronis Forums?

Or perhaps in Google you might find a way to overcome the privileges question.

cocteau48 11:50 15 Feb 09

Thanks Technotiger.
I have posted a query on the Wilders forum.
More in theory than anything else - but I will keep you informed of the outcome.

cocteau48 15:47 17 Feb 09

According to Acronis tech support this function is not supported although there are some on the Acronis Forum who have managed to take an image wirelessly ... but not restore it wirelessly.

Technotiger 15:53 17 Feb 09

Fine, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers.

Spark6 19:17 17 Feb 09

"Both are successful and will restore OK."

I don't like to hijack your thread but how can you be certain they will restore OK? Have you tried them in anger?

I very recently had difficulty backing up to an external USB drive, failed verification, archive corrupted etc. On 'woodchip's' advice I tried backing up to an internal slave drive and copying to the external. Both verified OK.

On attempting to load these backups to a freshly formatted drive they both failed because they were corrupted. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed with TI 11.0.

cocteau48 19:52 17 Feb 09

Spark6
"Have you tried them in anger?"
Time and time and time again.
I am set up to take an automated full image backup every day. Once a week I will restore the latest image and then delete all previous ones before starting the process all over again.
I have restored images three of four times in one day when trialling particularly intrusive software programs - at 20 minutes to backup and verify 11 gig and about 10 minutes to restore - it almost quicker and more reliable than system restore (which I find to be totally unreliable)
I do not treat Acronis as a piece of insurance only to be used if a disaster strikes but as a regular tool to be used all the time.
I have used TI 10/11 and now 12 and have never had a restoration problem.
Sorry ... but I am a convert hook line and sinker!

Technotiger 19:59 17 Feb 09

I have never had to use it in 'anger', but regularly do full back-ups with Acronis. I always Validate each back-up to check its integrity - so far I have never any problems with either the backup or the validation.

Technotiger 20:00 17 Feb 09

PS - all my back-ups are to an external USB drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017