Acronis backup canundrum

rawprawn 09:07 10 Aug 07

I have had this computer about 6 months and I backup regularly to an external HD. Normally the Full backup size is about 370000kb but yesterday it came out at 8600000kb. I haven't changed the compression (Normal) and my HD usage is about the same. I am validating the backup just now to see if it finds any problems, anyone any ideas as to why the backup size should double?

Technotiger 09:14 10 Aug 07

I don't know if this has any bearing, but have you deleted your earlier backup image?

rawprawn 09:33 10 Aug 07

Yes, I can only backup to a 250gb external and I normally keep 3 full backups. I deleted all but the last one which showed 36,626,621kb the new one showed double that.

cocteau48 09:35 10 Aug 07

Good morning rawprawn
I have had the occasional instance when Acronis has thrown a wobbly and come up with an unexpected volume - well under the expected volume when it has happened. But I put it down to forgetting that the image was being taken (mine is set to take an image at the same time every day) and continuing to work on the computer at the same time - when you think about it - not the cleverest thing to do - doh!

rawprawn 09:57 10 Aug 07

Good morning cocteau48, you have a point there. I will do another full backup this afternoon when I won't be using the computer and see what happens.I will post back later today.
Thank you for the thought.
The Validation completed with no problems.

rawprawn 18:35 10 Aug 07

OK, now totally baffled. I looked at C: properties and found that the disc usage had risen from around 50gb to 95gb. I looked at all c: but could not find anything that I felt able to delete with any confidence. After some thought I decided that the best way out (After trying system restore) was to use Acronis to get back to my normal disc usage, which I did and it seems successfull. However I have no idea how the C: got within 10gb of maximum, to my knowledge I have not increased the use at all. this is a laptop with 120gb HD 10gb is a recovery partition so it only in real terms leaves me with 105gb.
I am now going to try and backup to dvd,s and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now