acronis backup

chippy+ 12:00 08 May 09

hi has anyone backed up a dell pc hard drive with os and the hidden partition with acronis how is it done do i just backup as usual thanks Chippy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 08 May 09

The Dell PC restore partition (Ctl+F11 on startup) depends upon at least two things to work:

1) No modification to the hard drive's master boot record. A modification occurs with Acronis Secure Zone as warned in the TI8 user manual. (THIS WARNING IS TOO SMALL AND TOO VAGUE.)

2) No deletion of the Dell PC restore program that resides on the C partition.

If you inadvertently modify the MBR with something like Acronis Secure Zone or Partition Magic, etc. you will lose the functionality of the Dell restore partition.

If you reformat the C partition or otherwise delete the Dell PC restore program (listed under add/remove programs in control panels) you will lose functionality of Dell pc restore. Ctl+F11 will no longer work.

You cannot restore it to functionality by fixing the MBR. Once it's dead, forget it. Even if the restore partition is still present on the hard drive, it will never work again.

That's why it's so important to clone or create an image of your hard drive and store it safely somewhere other than on the hard drive you want to protect. That's the only way you're going to be able to restore the functionality of the Dell PC restore partition if your drive is corrupted or fails.

chippy+ 19:00 08 May 09

hi Fruit Bat /\0/\
thanks for the reply what i would like to do is make an image of the hard disk including the fat partition, what i have in add/remove is (dell resourse cd 2.73mb) thanks again Chippy

chippy+ 19:01 08 May 09

hi Fruit Bat /\0/\
thanks for the reply what i would like to do is make an image of the hard disk including the fat partition, what i have in add/remove is (dell resourse cd 2.73mb) thanks again Chippy

john bunyan 19:10 08 May 09

I know imaging is fine, but if you want to preserve the hidden partition, a clone would do that. I do an image of each of my two HD partitions on an external HD about once a week. About every two weeks, I do a clone of the primary HD on a second internal HD - use Tools and follow prompts. I end up with my two normal partitions and a FAT 32 back up partition.This would however occupy a drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…