Acronis backup of 18Gb to external drive 2 hours?

compumac 18:35 16 Aug 08

I have purchased Acronis 11 after noting comments in respect of backup software. I have been for some five years using Norton Ghost to creating images of my 'C' drive and have on a number of occasions needed to use those images to replace the existing setup. I have found using Acronis on my old PC with 18Gb being used on the 'C' drive that when creating the image to an internal disk that at the outset it stated some 20 minutes to create the image. I have carried out the same exercise several times including verification of backup and have reinstated that backup to ensure that Acronis works. However every time I try to create an image to an external drive I am faced with the prospect of a two hour duration. Am I missing something.

iqs 18:56 16 Aug 08

You could run defrag and chkdsk on the external drive.Have you checked for errors in device manager for the USB drivers.

If the drive is empty,what not reformat it,is it formatted to NTFS.

compumac 19:07 16 Aug 08

Already ran chkdsk and there is nothing else on the drive and it is NTFS

DieSse 20:44 16 Aug 08

Is it running at USB 1 speed? - this, plus a verify, could take a fairly long time.

MAT ALAN 20:48 16 Aug 08

Am I missing something.

Why not put your external drive IN your PC as a slave...

compumac 21:16 16 Aug 08

DieSse
Good point - At this time the PC is in use and cannot be accessed but you could be right about USB1

MAT ALAN
The 20 minute backup is already to an internal disc. But my next move was/is going to remove the external drive from its housing and install that as the second internal disc to perhaps see if the disc itself is faulty.

Chas49 21:35 16 Aug 08

compumac compumac:

I had the same trouble some time ago - in my case it was, as DieSse says, due to the machine having USB 1 -on a machine with USB2 it was much, much faster.

MAT ALAN 21:36 16 Aug 08

With ya now Don't think the drive is the issue it is as DieSse says and the fact that you may have have USB1.
If you are going to continue transfering that amount of info to an external why not use firewire...

Chas49 21:37 16 Aug 08

Sorry, trigger finger itchy - one compumac too many!

iscanut2 21:39 16 Aug 08

With USB2, a 70Gb backup takes approx an hour or so on my system using TI 11 so something is very much wrong. Has to be USB related problem.

compumac 21:39 16 Aug 08

Quickly - How can you establish USB1 or USB2?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…