Acronis 9 question

daisy2bell 12:37 16 Oct 06

Done a full back up of my C drive with Acronis 9. ( I didn't bother backing up drive D, as it contains the system recovery, and I have a recovery CD for this if needed.) I backed it up straight to my external HD. What puzzles me, is that acronis created 2 files, My Backup 1 4,194,304 KB and My Backup 2 2,913,671 KB.
When I do any further incremental backups, which folder do I back up to 1 or 2, or does it do it automaticaly.
Thanks

brundle 12:40 16 Oct 06

Your external drive must be FAT32 format - FAT32 can only hand files up to 4gb in size, acronis automatically splits larger backups into seperate files. format the external as NTFS if you want to store single files larger than 4 gig
acronis will automatically treat the two files as one backup job

anskyber 12:56 16 Oct 06

Yes I agree with brundle. My external HDD came as FAT 32 and I reformatted to NTFS allowing the one image from Acronis. You may decide its worth starting again by formatting the external drive and going to NTFS which is regarded as better overall for larger drives.

If you do not then when you do an incremental you will need to highlight the folder 2.

daisy2bell 13:12 16 Oct 06

Thanks, that's cleared that up. Now if I reformat to NTFS, everything on the drive will be automaticaly deleted?
Under format options are:
Quick format
Enable compression.
Which shall I use
Thanks

anskyber 13:17 16 Oct 06

"When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged." Is what MS say. When you format do make sure its your external drive being done. sorry not meant to be rude but I have seen it happen!

daisy2bell 13:23 16 Oct 06

Thanks for that.

woodchip 13:45 16 Oct 06

It's the same if you do Video Editing, You have a File size limit with Fat32

daisy2bell 15:44 16 Oct 06

I've now reformated, and have done another backup and now have the desired 1 file.
Thanks for your help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…