Acronis 10 and OS

muddypaws 13:46 24 Jan 07

Can anyone confirm that Acronis True Image 10 backs up the OS as well other than to a DVD. I have the 15 day trial version and backed up to my external.Made the external 1st boot device, but it didn't boot. All folders and 'Windows' are on it.A Norton Ghost back up I did to another drive some time ago boots OK.
Thanks.

anskyber 13:49 24 Jan 07

It does but you have to create a bootable disc to use the image.

Use Create Bootable Rescue Media from the home page.

rabadubdub 13:53 24 Jan 07

If you're considering changing and are short of cash, you could consider the WinBackUp prog which does all the above and is free.

muddypaws 13:53 24 Jan 07

anskyber. Cheers. That must be one place where Norton goes one better!

muddypaws 13:55 24 Jan 07

rabadudub. Thanks. Will check it out.

BRYNIT 14:12 24 Jan 07

When you click on Acronis in windows and sellect restore it will tell you you need to reboot if you sellect yes it will reboot and start Acronis without a boot disk but as a backup as askyber has said create a boot disk.

If you have a S-ATA drive you may have a problem as not all drivers are supported and the hard drive may not be detected.

PaulB2005 14:26 24 Jan 07

Could also be a problem with the USB drivers.

ATI backs up everything in the partition - OS, files, programs, temp files, old rubbish lying about, the recycle bin etc.

What EXACTLY did you do? Clone the C Drive to the backup drive?

muddypaws 15:30 24 Jan 07

PaulB2005.
Just followed the instructions to 'Back up my Computer' to the external. Which it has done. I assume by going into the set up at boot up and changing Drive 4 ( the external) to the 1st boot device that it would boot from it.As Norton does.Although I am no expert in these matters! I haven't seen a 'Clone' option as such. I have made a media boot disc now.
I am not in any emergency. I am just trying to compare Acronis with Ghost that I have had for a while.

PaulB2005 16:50 24 Jan 07

Backup My Computer makes an Image file on the destination drive. However this isn't bootable. It's the method i use to make single Image backups.

Clone is under Hard Disk Management and is used to create a working Clone of your hard drive on another drive.

muddypaws 16:57 24 Jan 07

PaulB2005.
Much appreciated will follow that up. Thanks.

muddypaws 17:00 24 Jan 07

I must remember to study the options in advance of posting!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…