'Acquiring network address' - limited connection

factotum69 15:34 19 Aug 09

Hi,
I have a laptop (dell e5400) with windows xp. I am having huge problems trying to get it to simply connect to my home wireless network.

The laptop connects perfectly okay on my work wireless network, but in a moment of madness I decided to take my work home with me (!) and am very close to smearing peanut butter onto the dell and eating it for dinner.

I've had a look thru the entire internet and found nothing that helps me - although there are many many similar problems.

As the thing works fine on my work wifi I assume that the kit is okay.

The home network works fine on 2 other laptops (pc with xp and my dear mac) and I can connect my iphone to it no problems.. so I assume that the network is fine too (there is no MAC address filtering).

The password I am using is correct.

If anyone can offer advice, or suggest a better way of consuming the imminently useless laptop I will be very thankful.

Thanks in advance
Stuart

Ashrich 18:16 19 Aug 09

If this is a work laptop is it actually allowed to connect to other networks ? Maybe something in the permissions if set up by your work IT technicians .

Ashley

MogsyDude23 18:09 22 Aug 09

If it is giving your "Limited or no connectivity", then your netowkr in work might have adssigned its own settings into the WLAN adapters TCP/IP settings in the adapters configuration.

If you check the settings of the adapter and it has stuff manually assigned. Just clear it all so it picks up the requirements of the network automatically. (this should work wherever you go on any networks).

Hope this helps.

dawood 15:51 25 Aug 09

Log on to router management page, check the DHCP, wireless and other settings, ensure they are configured properly. Here are some wireless network troubleshooting tips click here , maybe can help you.

factotum69 16:16 25 Aug 09

thanksa everyone for pitching in with advice, much appreciated. I am a total novice with this type of thing. Problem is solved - I think it was my drivers were not up todate - too simple!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now