Aconis True Image success

Mike D 11:11 26 Sep 06

With all the recent posts about True Image I thought I would share my little success story, then ask a question.

This morning, after blundering around the Registry and making a catastophe out of a mild irritation I had cause to restore my C: drive (all 186.4 Gb of it). Luckily I had a very recent image and 1 hour and 14 minutes later, with very little fuss, I was back in business.

Now my question - if I once again manage to delete the wrong registry key, providing I have a good system restore point (fool that I am, I totally forgot to create a pre-emptive restore point), will System Restore rescue me?

Mike

Splodge 11:17 26 Sep 06

When I do a Registry edit, I make a copy of the Registry to another file in Documents then if I make a hash I just copy it back!

VoG II 11:21 26 Sep 06
  Mike D 12:07 26 Sep 06

Thanks guys.

VoG™ page printed for future reference.

Mike

Batch 12:34 26 Sep 06

If you were to organise your drives such that C: only had the necessary on it (basically put all your data on another drive), the restore would be dramatically faster. That way, when you gerfingerpokin' in the registry you can recover in next to no time. My C: drive is about 4Gb (compressed to less than 2Gb in the Acronis image and takes a few minutes to restore).

BTW, am I the only one that actually tried a restore as soon as I'd made my first image? To me, it is no good installing the software, making an image and then trying it later when the need arises and finding it's NBG.

Pine Man 15:32 26 Sep 06

Mike D

I would be loathe to rely on a 'good system restore point' because until you actual go to use it you don't actually know it's any good!

Judging by a lot of posts on this forum, and my experience, system restore frequently fails to work at all.

Acronis is brilliant and as long as you create regular back ups AND VALIDATE THEM you are far better off. In fact Acronis suggest that you turn of system restore.

Mike D 07:54 27 Sep 06

Good points. I will away to consider new backup strategies.

Mike

scales 12:27 27 Sep 06

How do you check to see if your image will restore without problem without trying it? If there is a problem with it you have just trashed a perfectly good system. I backup with Acronis and use its validation routine but I have never had to use it to fix a serious problem so I don't know if it would work. Its a bit like the airbags in the car, I hope they will work if I need them...

Batch 17:42 27 Sep 06

A. Try it on a spare hard disk and/or partition.

or

B. Try it on your usual main partition at a time that is convenient to you (so that if it doesn't work you've got backups of all of your data to hand and you can rebuild using an install / recovery disk). Not great I know, but that's life.

Batch 09:38 30 Sep 06

One of the advantages I find from having confidence in the restorability of Acronis images (or from other software) is that I am more willing to try things that I might otherwise be wary of, knowing that if I screw up a restored system is a few minutes away. Basically I am much more comfortable in my PC usage.

This even extends to viruses, trojans etc. - if I were to find myself infected and not sure about the removal - I just restore a known good image, apply any updates, et voila! In simple terms, instead of trying to dig one out of a hole, go back to a point where the hole didn't exist in the first place.

One can really only achieve such confidence by trying it out in the first place (i.e. not leaving it until you reaally need it). One can also get a degree of reassurance from the legion of happy Acronis users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now