"AcGenral.dll is not a valid Windows image"

kbp 21:02 22 Aug 04

On starting Word 2000, which has been installed and running without problem for a couple of years, I now get the following error message: "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\AppPatch\AcGenral.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

Any suggestions please how to correct this error?

VoG II 21:08 22 Aug 04

If Word actually starts up (you didn't say) Tools/Templates and Add-ins, and untick anything that looks like that .dll.

woodchip 21:10 22 Aug 04

Or put the Office CD in and do a repair

kbp 21:47 22 Aug 04

I have looked in Tools/Templates and Add-ins and there are only four dot files listed, nothing resembling this dll file.

I have also run Office CD in repair mode but error persists.

VoG II 21:49 22 Aug 04

Via e-mail

Thank you for your very prompt response. I have looked in Tools/Templates and Add-ins and there are only four dot files listed, nothing resembling this dll file. Using the Office disk to effect a repair didn't work either, I'm afraid.

============================

Please post replies using the Add a Response box at the bottom of the page. The yellow envelope is for personal messages.

Try unticking all of the Add-ins and see what happens. Then re-tick them one by one to find the culprit.

kbp 22:54 22 Aug 04

Unticking the add-in appears to have no effect on the error message. If I untick them and then close Word and then restart, the error message appears as before and on opening Tools/Templates and Add-ins, the four items each have ticks against them.

Falkyrn 23:20 22 Aug 04

AcGenral.DLL - a google search on this file appears to suggest that it is a file associated with a windows update , primarily for games ... possibly this means a DirectX problem rather than a Word problem although it is word that is highlighting it ?

kbp 10:25 23 Aug 04

The problem occurred after the last Windows update but restoring to prior to the update did not cure the problem. I have run dxdiag but this has shown no problems and version of DirectX is 9.0, which I understand is the current one.

Falkyrn 20:32 23 Aug 04

A further google search shows that this file can be corrupted by the blaster virus ...

have you tried locating and replacing this file alone ?

kbp 21:10 23 Aug 04

Thanks. I did a virus scan immediately the problem arose (I have AVG running in the background all the time) and nothing showed up.

I have located the file but I cannot find a clean version to replace it with within my system or back-up disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…