AcerLaptop will not boot and will not reinstall XP

ferrari312 21:24 04 Nov 07

Help required, please, with recovering data on my laptop. Apologies for length of post but want to give all pertinent information.

System: Acer Ferrari 4005, Windows XP professional, 100Gb drive partition by Acer with C: for software (45Gb), D: for user data (45Gb) and hidden recovery partition.

Original problem: Booting normally gave ‘file missing or corrupt system32\drives\ntfs.sys’ error. Also Windows could not be started in Safe mode (did not get that far). Booting a friend’s Windows XP CD gave ‘ntkrnlmp.exe could not be load error’.

Fixes tried: a) Acer Alt F10 option to recover from hidden partition gave option to recover but just kept rebooting when selected (obviously unable to access hidden partition).
b) I used my Recovery CD (made using Acer recovery facility when I purchased laptop) to try to recover. It spend 40 minutes copying files until 100% done, then restarted and went to a black screen for a while, then powered itself off.
c) I also tried the original Acer supplied disks – 1 system disk, 2 recovery 2 – which also brought up the recovery menu. I have no tried this as it should be similar to using the recovery CD which I have already tried.

Current errors:
Booting normally gives ‘windows cannot be loaded’ error with options:
1. start windows in safe mode – choosing this option just reboots back to same position
2. start windows normally – choosing this option cause the laptop to hang
3. start windows with last known good configuration – gives file missing ‘windows\system32\config\system’ could not be loaded error
Booting from another Windows XP Pro CD (not from Acer) gives ‘setuppdd.sys could not be loaded – error 4’.

Diagnosis: It seems to me that the boot sector on the disk may be corrupted as it seems to be unable to read files on the disk and to access the hidden partition.

Options I am thinking about:
1. Remove disk and try to recover data – send off or take to shop. Is this possible?
2. Remove disk, buy disk caddy and try to read on another pc. Are these available for small laptop disks? Would disk be readable if MBR is corrupt?
3. Send to Acer to fix. Will they try to save the data on the D: drive before they either put in a new disk or reformat it. If they put in a new disk will they at least send back the old one to me?
4. Boot from CD using another operating system (Linux, DOS?) – could use knoppix – and copy data to usb drive. Is this safe? I know nothing about Linux.
5. Try swapping/replacing memory. People to swear by this as a cure but surely if memory was damaged I would not have been able to run the Acer recovery at all?

skidzy 21:31 04 Nov 07

click here;en-us;887675

skidzy 21:32 04 Nov 07

Oops here you go click here

tobyb121 21:35 04 Nov 07

1. Sending to a shop obviously costs money, try everything else before this.
2. I don't know too much about his method, but it sounds like a viable option,(this is what I imagine they would do in a shop)
3. If you send it to acer, under their standard warranty, they will fix it, but you may lose data, and in this case I can almost garantee it.
4. I would recommend this before doing anything else. Its really easy to do, and I've used knoppix loads of times to fix simelar problems.
5. I don't know abput this, doesn't make any sense, it will probably cause more problems.
Good luck tobyb

ferrari312 21:53 04 Nov 07

skidzy - thanks but that method does not work as I cannot get as far as the recovery console (setuppdd.sys error) - see my post for more detail.

tobyb - with knoppix do i download then burn a CD? Did you try with NTFS (the C and D drives are NTFS, the hidden drive is FAT32 as Acer installed it)? Do you have any instructions on what to do?

skidzy 22:00 04 Nov 07

Just quick point;

" Booting a friend’s Windows XP CD gave ‘ntkrnlmp.exe could not be load error "

Your system xp pro,you will need another xp pro cd,not just xp.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:02 04 Nov 07

b) I used my Recovery CD (made using Acer recovery facility when I purchased laptop) to try to recover. It spend 40 minutes copying files until 100% done, then restarted and went to a black screen for a while, then powered itself off.

Options I am thinking about:
1. Remove disk and try to recover data – send off or take to shop. Is this possible?

as you have done b) I am afraid you may have already lost your data as it will format C: to put it back to factory condition (the day you made the recovery disk)

Current errors:
3. start windows with last known good configuration – gives file missing ‘windows\system32\config\system’ could not be loaded error

Restore from recovery console

boot from the XP CD. Start Windows Setup and press R to access the recovery console. Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

ferrari312 22:13 04 Nov 07

skidzy - it was XP Pro that I tried. The only difference is it is not the OEM version of XP which Acer would have loaded. That is on recovery disk which did not work.

Fruit Bat - my data is all on the logical D: partition which does not (they say) get overwritten in a recovery. I cannot do the fix you suggested as I cannot get into recovery console by any method (my post "Booting from another Windows XP Pro CD (not from Acer) gives ‘setuppdd.sys could not be loaded – error 4’.")

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:49 04 Nov 07

See you have posted on Noebookreview forum :0)

try click here

tobyb121 21:42 05 Nov 07

With knoppix you go to knoppix.org and download knoppix. You then burn this to a cd, put it in and boot make sure you are booting from the cd, and it is then pretty easy, just let it boot up and put your your external hard drive and start copying files over.
I am using a NTFS partition and it works for me, however sometimes you need to change the read/write permissions for the drives, which can be done by right clicking on then from knoppix.
Hope this helps a bit, but ask if you need any help, this can be a very daunting process when you are trying to work with an unfarmiliar OS.
You may find that when you boot into knoppix its in german, I don't know if this is just the version I happen to use, but if this happens, at the boot screen it asks you to press enter just type "knoppix lang=en" (without quotes) and then enter to boot into english.

ferrari312 22:12 05 Nov 07

Thanks Toby. A friend has also recommended knoppix very highly. I am planning first to try using the disk in a caddy as a slave and see if it is accessible on another pc using explorer. If not, then either I burn a knoppix cd and try that or else just take it to PC World and get them to recover it for me at a cost of £100.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…