Acer Win XP HD being an Ext HD to Win98

ajw2708 00:29 19 May 06

My Acer Aspire laptop has died after 2 years and I have wipped out the HD as it is not under warranty any more. It is now on a W98 PC as an external HD via USB and one of the 3 drives is visible in Windows 98 Explorer. I had not made the root of either 2 other drives private in WinXP, although there were some private folders on both drives. Am I going to have problems accessing this data, or do I just need to get back onto any PC running XP?

Thanks

DieSse 01:55 19 May 06

Win98 will not be able to access any partitions formatted with NTFS - only those formatted with FAT32.

This free software can make them available for reading click here

DieSse 01:56 19 May 06

Sorry - correct link click here

ajw2708 11:17 19 Nov 06

The way forwards on this is to boot the XP Home machine in safe mode and then to log in with the built in Administrator account. Go into Windows Explorer, click a folder and go into its properties. Locate the security tab, take ownership and ensure that the user in question certainly has access to the required folders. save and re-boot and log in normally and you should be OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…