Acer Travelmate, scroll pads not working

roisin dubh 10:20 05 Nov 05

Hi all,

am in need of a little help. We own an Acre Travelmate 2356XM laptop with windows XP. Has been working fine all the way through. Yesterday afternoon however the scroll pad and left/right click buttons stopped working.

The laptop powers up fine, no noticeable difference in speed on turning it on. No warning screens to indicate it has found a problem. The keyboard itself works fine, all the functionality is there, all the programmes are untouched and we can still access the internet. The only fault (and it is a very inconvenient one) is that the scroll pad for the cursor and both buttons have ceased, it is as though either a soldered connection has failed isolating that area from the rest of computer or (clutching at straws here) a driver controlling these functions has failed.

Have powered down and up several times with same result. There was no advance warning as though it was failing by degrees, Wednesday working fine, Thursday not. Any help gratefully accepted as it is my partner who uses the laptop and I know little about them my area is more desktop oriented, and with laptops being small and fiddly don't really want to approach with a screwdriver unless I know what I'm looking for

w1z8rd 11:48 05 Nov 05

Have you tried "mouse properties" in the controll panel? I havn't got an Acer but my Dell laptop has got a tab in there that adjusts the touchpad, worth a look if you havn't already tried it

roisin dubh 12:01 05 Nov 05

Hi wiz8rd, she is out right now, not sure if she has checked that but if not will get her to do so

roisin dubh 21:23 06 Nov 05

Sorry for the slow reply, decorating and plastering, checked through control panel for mouse and keyboard settings etc, nothing there out of the ordinary. Any other suggestions anyone

Minkey1 21:41 06 Nov 05

If your Acer is still under warranty I've found their support to be slick, and kit comes back promptly. If out of warranty, does Device Manager show any yellow warning signs by Mice/Pointing Devices ?

As a workaround a little USB mouse will do the job fine but I appreciate this is not a solution !

Mike

woodchip 21:44 06 Nov 05

Have you tried Restore

Dipso 22:17 06 Nov 05

I remember someone had a similar problem and advice was to uninstall/reinstall the touchpad mouse properties. This resolved it for them.

You've nothing to lose...

Dipso 22:19 06 Nov 05

Should have said uninstall from Device Manager.

FUl2tiV3 22:57 06 Nov 05

obvious but
on the keyboard
Fn+F7 toggles the touchpad on and off
any use?

roisin dubh 23:45 06 Nov 05

Hi all thanks for responses, FUI2tiV3's reply has cured problem, never knew about that one, still learning re laptops (small fiddly things but she swears by them). Beloved says thanks very much, will now tick as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…