acer travelmate 4150

BigMo 00:46 22 Apr 08

My Acer Travelmate 4150 has this really annoying problem of shutting down randomly when power lead connected. I can use it no problems on Battery but when i connect the power lead it will shutdown after a short period of time. It will charge ok, just cannot use the laptop on mains for more than 10 mins. It doesn't even matter what applications are running and it doesn't apear to be getting particularly warm, it is very random.
I am running XP home, 512mb RAM.
If anyone can point me in the right direction on this i would be grateful.

Taff™ 06:50 22 Apr 08

Right Click the desktop and select properties. The the screensaver tab and click on the Power Saving button. Check what the settings are when plugged in. Strange it seems to be happening when you`re working on it though.

BigMo 17:48 23 Apr 08

It turns out it was an overheating problem. Opened the laptop and had a look at the heatsink and fan. Found two of the standoffs that the heatsink screw into had come away from the board therefore the heatsink wasnt making proper contact with the CPU. re-attached standoffs and screwed down heatsink. Not had a problem since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…